THIS THING IS STILL LOOSE

Ragtopman

Ok here it is. 91 yj left front caliper is loose. Started hearing a clicking, I found the problem. Put in some new caliper bolts sleeves and rubber bushings, but the thing is still loose. Torqued it to speck then redfaced it still loose. Could it have worn the caliper itself? It doesn't effect braking but I can hear it whistlel from time to time on the highway and it still clicks over bumps

Don't try and discribe the ocean if you've never seen it... JB

A floating Caliper is supposed to be somewhat loose. I just replaced my rotors and pads last week. The calipers were loose, but not rattling. The rubber boots keep a little pressure on them as you need to squeeze them slightly to install the caliper. This is kinda tough without seeing it. Does it rock in your hand, and how much side to side? Does it click when you step on the brakes over bumps?

It does rock in my hand, also clicks a bit over bumps and whistles on the highway the new hardware and rubber boots helps but didn't cure it. Could I have worn the caliper itself

I was installing my front shocks last night and removed the tires to do so. I looked at my calipers and they were pretty tight. I tried rocking them by hand and the whole rotor moved (just slightly).

How tight are the calipers against the bottom slides? Does the caliper move away from the slides? Are your pads tight against the rotor? A single piston caliper pushes the inner pad and pulls the outer. If the caliper is frozen, or not allowed to float, it might rattle.

Brakes are new and work great. The caliper is just a bit loose as is it were not torqued down

Back