Thoughts about Rubicon's 4.5 suspension lift

backinblackTJ

First off, thanks to all that have responded to my first couple messages. I am learning as i go, on and off the trails, and have found a great niche of people on both ends of the same spectrum
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

Since i havent ordered anything yet, and since i REALLY want to do it right the first time, this place has helped tremendously !!

Do any of you all have this kit, or know about its quality, reliability, additional parts needed or advised (one post mentioned going with Emu shocks-would those be better than the ones provided with the RE kit?)

Again, i am looking to run 33x12.5's. I dont plan (i think) on airing down all that often, as i drive this jeep mostly on the highway. When i do go off road, i hit it as hard as i can, and enjoy nothing more than trying to get myself just on the verge of flipping over. Having said this, are the 15x10 rims the best bet for me?

I am not the worlds best mechanic, but i can read purdy well, so hopefully all this can be accomplished by myself (along with someone that actually claims to know what they are doing). Cost is an issue, but i'd rather spend a little more in the beginning getting what i want, and what is the best for what i need, than having to spend much more later while i swear my ass off all the way to the bank. It sounds like the RE 4.5 has most everything i will initially need to lift my jeep and have a sweet ride. Any thoughts you all have, as well as advice would be greatly appreciated
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I'd still go with the 3.5" RE kit....

image-missing.png

At 4.5" of lift, to maintain a good ride(since you've said it's gonna be onroad more than off), you're gonna want the long arm kit. That's gonna be a bit more complicated to install and at that height you're gonna have to start looking into a SYE/CV shaft as the only way to address vibes. RE: more money.

The install of the non long arm kits is rather simple. I've done a spacer lift and later a 3" lift to mine. Basically just unbolt stock components and replace them with the supplied lift components. A good floor jack, jack stands and basic hand tools will do the job for ya.

The OME shocks are (in my opinion
image-missing.png
) the best riding shock out there. I love mine to death. Was rather leery of the price tag before I got them, but am thrilled I got them anyway. If you go with the 3.5" lift and start wheeling it more, you can always add a body lift later on to clear up a bit more room in the wheel wells.

Wheels? My preference is 15x8, but I usually air down to 12~15 psi for the trail. Plus they're easier to keep covered up under the flares. I've been running mine since February and haven't noticed any premature wear on the tires because of the narrower width wheel.[addsig]

Thanks Drack...will going with the 3.5" lift ALONE be enough for most off road driving (clearance etc...) or will i have to ultimately add a 1" body lift later? And would this route be the best compromise (3.5" SL + 1" BL) over going with the 4.5 from the beginning? You mentioned long arm kit and difficulty installing. Also, are the rims i have now (stock 8" i think) the same as the aftermarket rims of the same size? I get confused over this and back spacing and the flares etc. Wouldnt you likely add wider flares later anyway once you go up in width to 12.5?

Also, could you or someone explain to me how airing down affects bead and what rim width has to do with everything...im still basically a novice here...sorry.

What different shock does OME have. Are they all based on heigth needed, or are there different models (ie. i have a hardtop on through the winter and wonder if a heavy duty shock is best etc...)

As always...thanks for your help.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I have a 4.5" RE lift on my YJ - night and day suspension differences from yours - but if it as easy to install as mine was, no problem. The worst problem was dealing with 9 yr. old nuts and bolts. They tend to be a little stubborn. The pitman arm wasn't any fun either...broke two gear pullers before it popped off. Anyway, love the ride and performance. 33's fit with tons of clearance. Like the previous fella said, look into a SYE and extended drive shaft for vibration elimination. It's more money, but worth it. Also check into gear ratios...I found out the hard way. Blew the rear end in mine, but got lucky because no other damage to the driveshaft or tcase or transmission occurred. But, had to replace gears, and figured it was a good time to go to 4:11. Like I mentioned earlier, night and day differences between our Jeeps, but same theories apply. Good luck. Last advice...have a couple of cold ones ready in to fridge to ease any frustration that might arise.[addsig]

33"s will fit fine for off road use with a 3.5" lift..

you might want to think about the BL just to add a motor mount lift to help deal with drive line vibes though, if not you'll have to drop the t-case or add an SYE.

I love my RE 4.5" Long Arm kit, and with my 1" body lift as well I have room to stuff 36"s
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back