tire rub fix 95 yj

rockabass05

Hello, I have 31x 10.50 bfg all terrains on the stock 15 inch five spock alloy wheels of my 95 yj. When I turn, the tires rub on the leaf springs. I want to buy new wheels to fix the problem along with making it look better. I don't plan on going any bigger than a 10.50 wide tire so....

- should i get a 7 inch wide wheel or an 8?

-what is the factory backspacing?

-what backspacing do I need to possibly clear 33 x 10.50's?

-I have a wheel in mind, it is 4 inches of backspacing, is that enough?

Take off one of your stock wheels and measure the backspacing with a ruler or tape measure. That will give you the factory backspacing distance. I, too, asked the question on here about the 7 or 8 inch wide wheel for the 31x10.5 tire... lots of seasoned Jeepers use the 7 inch wheel with few, if any, problems.

If you want to mount 33x10.5's you will need a lift kit of some sort to avoid destroying the 33's... a body lift kit will be the least expensive route, but definately don't go beyond 3 inches of lift there. Some Jeepers don't suggest any more than 1 inch body lift due to additional stresses put on the sheetmetal and other components beyond the 1 inch mark.

Welcome to the Z! :mrgreen:

3.5" or 4" backspacing should be fine, and use a 7" wheel for 10.5" wide tires if you know you'll never go wider than 10.5".

Back