Tires: super swamper tsl, ssr; goodyear mt/r; kumho mt; ?

GaryMB

I just bought a cj7 and plan on mostly wheeling it. I'll be driving to and from the local ohv area (about 70 miles each way), and then through every terrain possible. What tires would you reccommend? right now I have 32" bfg at's, and am wondering if they'll provide me with enough off road traction. I found some used ssr's for sale @ $25 a piece with 3/8" tread depth, some used goodyear mt's w/half tread @25 a piece, have heard great things about mt/r's, and know kumho mt's are just plain cheap. What would you reccommend?

I would go with the goodyears man, those tires rock. from what all the guys i go wheeling with have they do the best overall and seem to hold up pretty nicely on the road with wearing and all.

If it is a Mostly Trail Rig, then I would go with the SSR's!

If it also is going to be a somewhat daily driver, then the Mtr's

But if your gonna buy new then yes the kuhmo's are less expensive and are a very good tire, they are the second line of I think BFG??

Congrats on the Jeep! I have had Kuhmo's MT's for about a year and they have never let me down yet! I have a ton of tread left and can go over most anything with them! The only thing they don't grip good on is rain and what tire does that anyway?

Lady

Don't let the door hit ya where the lord split ya!!!

The BFG AT's will get the job done in everything except the thick mud. The all-terrain design's tread is just too close together to clean themselves.

All mentioned are decent tires, but the Swamper is king of the mudhole.

Kuhmo's are the best bang for the buck as far as new. Don't let the price deter you!! It's a Korean tire, with lot's of tech behind it. And there are a ton of articles on how surprisingly great those meats are!

LadyJeepFreak said:
..............The only thing they don't grip good on is rain and what tire does that anyway?

Lady

The Bridgestone Dueler Revo's stick great on a wet road. Unfortunately, the biggest size they come in are 31's.

I just bought a cj7 and plan on mostly wheeling it. I'll be driving to and from the local ohv area (about 70 miles each way), and then through every terrain possible. What tires would you reccommend?

Just from that I would recommend a set of more aggressive tires. TSL would be my choice. Once you get to the trail is the important part.....you can deal with 70 miles of slight discomfort for a more enjoyable day of wheeling.
From the choices you listed, the SSR seems like it would serve the purpose better. The SSR isn't really THAT aggressive and rides as good as the BFG MTs that I got with the TJ, but do better offroad. I've heard the opposite story about the MT/R, and I haven't been that impressed with what I've seen. Terrain is different all over though. We have mostly mud or sand here, and asking any tire to compare to a Swamper isn't fair

The MTR's have some light siping, which makes them a little better than the run of the mill mudder in the rain and snow (rain I can attest to, but it hasn't snowed on mine yet). I am very pleased with my MTR's, but if your rig is primarily for offroad use, get the swampers! The SSR's are better than the avarage mud tire though as they use the 3 stage lugs, but have a slightly tighter tread pattern than the standard TSL's and are siped.

get the ssr's theyll grip and wrap around anything. i dont like the good year hype i think swampers are a much better rock tire, just from what ive seen that is. something about a yj on 32" bias ply swampers walking up rocks that the guys on 35s with rubi's on 35" mt/rs just makes me like them better

Bounty__Hunter said:
What type of terrain will you be primarily wheelin?
There's so many variables out there, tough to give a recommendation if you don't know how it's going to be used.

That is if this jeeper ever comes back to read this thread :roll:

Back