Tires

untamed

I see soooo many jeep pics that have BFG all Terrain tires on them. Are they really that good of tire? I always heard the weren't very good offroad especially in the mud. Just wondering.

They suck in the mud. I love them in sand. I now run BFg mud terrains and it's the exact opposite. Good in the mud. Dig to oblivion in the sand.

I have Cooper muds right now and I LOVE them but as a daily they don't last long. Ive been looking at All Terrains and the tires I use to get are only sold on the west coast at Les Schwab. So I'm not quite sure which ones I want. I do a lot of hunting and drive on a lot of muddy roads in the fall and winter. Unless there is a all Terrain that rocks in the mudd. I might just stay with muds.

I would stick with MUDs. I did the all terrain thing. Ok for a dd but any play time there no fun. My bfgs wear great I have 30,000 Kms on them and they still have 8/32nds left. But I'm an alignment tech so it's always dead on.

There is a trade off when it comes to tires imo. mud tires suck on road but are great off road, all-terrains are nice on the road but suck in the mud, and pack up. The bfg,s mud terrains are kinda in the middle, they are a all around decent tire which is why I suspect they are so popular. They are not as aggressive as say a supper swamper but more aggressive than a all-terrain, the side walls are very tough from what I hear but they are stiff and need aired down a little more than most to get a good bite. from what I hear their isn't much differance in road noise between the two. I have not owned BFG tires so I cant say from experience, just what people I know have told me.

I owned the old BFG muds and they didn't last long but the new ones don't look as aggressive so maybe they might last a little longer.

I had the bfg at's, had 35's on my old 3/4 ton dodge, they were great on it mud, rock, sand, snow, really good on ice. My jeep had a set on it when I got it, decent every where but mud, they sucked big time, the jeep was to light for them to work as good as on my truck, and they messured short, 33's were less the 31". I just put on a set of toyo open country mt, I am very happy with them, work great everywhere I have tried them, not sure the tread life as I have just put them on 600 miles ago.

Had some 33” goodyear duratracs on my yj before i went soa. I loved thoses tires awsome on the road with no noise and great wear.offroad they surprised the hell out of me. Awsome in snow clean out well in Mud,and snow. Sidewalls are on the lighter(inless u buy the ones with kevlar) side so had to keep an eye out for thosr sidewall,killin rocks. also had some,km2s and i would go with the duratrac over the km2s. As soon as my 35 toyo mts wear out ill be buyin anouther set of duratracs with kevlar this time

I have mastercraft coursers ( made by cooper) on my 08 and have had great luck with them, I have about 45000 miles on them and still have quite a bit of life left, they do well in the mud but not great in the snow but for a weekend trail crawling I've been happy with them, especially for the price...although you have to keep them around 40 psi or they beat you to death....

"Betty" was shod with BFG AT's but were right worn, tried to find some Buckshot Wide Mudders but Gateway Tire quit producing them. (I intended "Betty" for some serious infamous Oregon mud action primarily) So I tried out the BFG KM2's and, now that my front end had been fixed by a stellar shop it tracks straight and true and the tread is almost as deep, but in a radial rather than the bias Buckshots.

"Betty" was shod with BFG AT's but were right worn, tried to find some Buckshot Wide Mudders but Gateway Tire quit producing them. (I intended "Betty" for some serious infamous Oregon mud action primarily) So I tried out the BFG KM2's and, now that my front end had been fixed by a stellar shop it tracks straight and true and the tread is almost as deep, but in a radial rather than the bias Buckshots.

Oregon huh? I grew up in Pendleton. Been to Albany. Played baseball there. So I know what kind of mud your talking about. The cascades are AWESOME muddin.

It depends what you want to do with it. BFG A/T's are not good in mud as mentioned but are good in dirt, sand, snow, relatively quiet, and wear like iron.

Back