TJ driveline questions

tonythetj

on a tj, the slip yoke kits they sell, allows you to use a longer drive shaft correct? But if i were to put a 3.5in lift and use the t-case spacers to lower it, would i be ok? I dont have too much money to spend and am finally getting some needed ground clearance, but need to know what the deal is with all the driveline angle problems.

You will be fine, vibration should be ALMOST non existent with a t-case drop. The only problem is your losing some ground clearance with the t-case drop, but it is only an inch at the most.

the sye is used to not need a Tcase drop... plus... your stock driveshaft will be useless with the sye... not long enough... you lose about 3-4 inches of which the driveshaft will not reach... plus.. there will now be no slipjoint in the shaft to allow for suspension.. and you'll really break things when your axle somes up

Only a lift

The 1" TC drop will be fine with that amount of lift.

You're only giving up 1" of ground clearance, but you gained 3.5" with the lift so who cares. You'll gain even more under the transfer case after installing larger tires.

I drove around for about a year with a T-case drop and a 4" lift. I when through U-joints every 4 months, but I also had a sort of beat up drive shaft that wasn't exaclty true (straight) I installed the SYE back in september and It made a world of difference, better Highway milage, better and smoother acceleration, when down shifting, it is so much smoother. But again my oiginal drive shaft was a little beat up.

I have a 99 TJ that had a 3" lift before I bought it. It also had the TC drop. I always noticed that on take-offs and about 30 mph it had a vibration. I installed the SYE kit and it made a world of difference. I did the installation myself with out pulling the entire t-case out from under the Jeep. The instructions are pretty well written. You will need a new driveshaft with this mod.

Back