TJ Hard Door/Factory Soft Top Compatability

WVWrangler

I know this is probably a frequently asked question, but I'm very new to this board and I just bought my Wrangler (I owned a 91' from '91 til 96, then was Jeepless until yesterday when I bought a 2000 TJ).

Here's my question:

The TJ I bought has the factory hard top and full metal hard doors. No soft top.

A friend who just took the factory soft top off his TJ (99 or 01, I think) offered to sell it to me. It was on a Wrangler with half metal doors (fabric top half).

Will this factory soft top work with my full metal doors? Any soft top issues I should be aware of?

thanks!

-Eric[addsig]

The full doors will fit with the factory soft top, just make sure you get the plastic "L" pieces that go over the doors or it won't fit properly. Oh yeah get ready for a lot more road noise.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I'm a little confused. I've seen a few TJ's today with factory full doors and soft tops. They didn't seem to have anything attached to the top of the factory full doors. However, I was just driving by them and can't tell for sure.

Can you explain a little more about the extra part I'll need to buy from the dealer?

thanks!

-Eric [addsig]

Those extra parts are just two black trim pieces that will screw into the roll bar above and to the sides of the full metal doors. In fact, I'll bet that your friend has them since they are needed to secure the soft top to the jeep, try to get them from him when you buy the top, otherwise you will probably have to get them from a dealer. Also, before you buy, check out how the rear soft window attaches to the back. It's tough to explain, but the rear soft window attaches to a thin piece of metal the length of the window. This piece of metal is covered in weather stripping, and it kind of slides into two black "U" shaped brackets in the back of the jeep on either side of the tailgate. I've heard that some of the hard top only jeeps don't have these brackets, so you will have to check into that as well.[addsig]

regardless of hard or soft doors, the jeep should already have the black upper door frame bracket.[addsig]

Back