TJ questions

IshootHoyt

i plan on getting a TJ and i was wondering what the best set of hybrid tires i should get for offroad and highway riding. i dont want big super swampers that would get torn to shreds on the highway but i dont want tires that suck off road. my offroading consists of woodland areas and some mud and water areas like quarries and all that fun stuff. im not going hardcore offroading like rock climbing and that hardcore stuff. i just want to smash through the woods and be able to have a nice ride on the highway without my treads burning off fast. so if anyone has ideas. i also need them to be good in snow. because i live in northern minnesota and it snows a ton some years. with a budget under 800 for tires. i know its asking for a lot but maybe someone has ideas. also, since suspension lifts are expensive as all hell, whats the highest decent body lift i can get. again with a smaller budget of prolly 500 dollars. :?|:?|:?|:?|

BF Goodrich All-Terrains are decent off-road and I'm told have good on-road manners. The only situation they're not good in off-road is sticky mud since the tread doesn't clear easily. BFG Mud Terrains are great off-road and aren't bad on-road, but if you spend most of your time on the highway they are loud and need more maintenance to get good mileage out of them.

As for the body lift, I think most people on here are going to tell you that you shouldn't do more than 1". Get a 2" budget suspension lift (spring spacers) for $150-200 and add a 1" body lift for another $100 or so and you should be able to clear 32-33" tires.

I have a set of Hankook Dynapros. 33x12.50's and i am mostly on the road with a little bit of Off Roading ofcoarse.

well what size tire should i get if i lift my jeep 3'' then? with the 1'' body and 2'' suspension with nitro shocks. 32's? or 33's?

If you can clear the 33's and you can afford them, might as well go with 33's. That'll give you an extra 1/2" of ground clearance over 32's.

BFG Mud Terrains are great off-road and aren't bad on-road, but if you spend most of your time on the highway they are loud and need more maintenance to get good mileage out of them.

i have 31" bfg mud terrains and they are great on and off road not noisy at all maybe to the car next you but thats it and i got about 40,000 miles on them with half the tread left just rotate them every 3 to 4000 miles

i have 31" bfg mud terrains and they are great on and off road not noisy at all maybe to the car next you but thats it and i got about 40,000 miles on them with half the tread left just rotate them every 3 to 4000 miles

They're not terrible (not like a Super Swamper) but compared to an All-Terrain tire like the GS-A's that come stock the BFG MTRs are WAY noiser. Again, I'm not saying they're uncomfortably noisy - I've gotten used to it now and it doesn't bother me at all either but when I first put them on the Jeep I was shocked at how much louder the road noise was.

Anyway, my point was simply that they're a lot louder and need to be rotated more frequently than an all-terrain tire.

Back