Tj sterring box questions

boat567b

Hello on this change from tj sterring box to dodge . Ive got one out of a durango 98 4wd . Salvage is taking it out monday for me to pick up , do i use the arm of tj ?or dodge ? Thanks

TJ. There's a good trick for removing pitman arms if you've never done it. They can be a bear.

bounty can you tell me the trick on getting pitman off / and whats the secret on replacing rear main seal on 99 4.0l

bounty can you tell me the trick on getting pitman off / and whats the secret on replacing rear main seal on 99 4.0l

For your rear main, loosen all the main cap bolts about 1 full turn. Should give you enough clearance to slide the upper half of the rear main in with little trouble. I will warn ya, they are a complete pain the the whahooo to do thou. Have fun, let us know how it turns out. OH,. and make sure you torq the mains back to spec, along with the oil pan(inch lbs for the oil pan)

Ah, finally got em.

Oil pan mounting bolts
1/4 x 20................84 inch-lbs
5/16x18.................132 inch-lbs

Bearing cap bolts
80 ft-lbs

Ok great thanks alot . Im going to keep this info in garage , but you know bounty was telling me abought some additives for my steering box leak witch i all ready changed out to dodge , but looked in to oil and changed oil put quart of lucas stop leak in and seems to have slowed way down just a spot at this time now gets any worse like it was and it will get new rear seal, thanks

Make sure the CCV system is working properly and not allowing too much crankcase pressure to build up, forcing oil past seals.

There are two airlines into the valve cover; fresh air intake from the airtube and crankcase fumes into the intake to be burned.

With the engine running, pull the line at the airtube, make sure it is sucking air into the crankcase. If it's blowing out, you have excessive crankcase pressure and a problem.

Back