Tow-in after lift

RonaldL

:???:I put a 2" budget lift on my 97 TJ and before I did anything I measured the distance between the inside of my front tires. After the kit was installed The measurement was about 1/8" different. Is this enough to worry about tire ware? It drives just fine. Thanks for your thoughts, Ron

Did you drive first?

If you used a jack on the jeep,which i am sure you did it is going to put them a little closer.Once you drive it should go back the BB shouldnt change your tie rod settings.

From what I was told after lifitng my Jeep, toe-in should be about 1/8" closer in in the front than the rear. If you have the reverse, then probably not so good.

It moved about 1/8" closer in front, so there is about 1/4 " difference front to back. Drives nice, but was worried about my tires.

Almost forgot. I measured before I jacked it up and then again after I drove it around.

Did you drive first?

If you used a jack on the jeep,which i am sure you did it is going to put them a little closer.Once you drive it should go back the BB shouldnt change your tie rod settings.
Any change in suspension lift on a TJ, whether it be via springs or spacers, will change the toe-in due to the inverted Y steering linkage. The draglink is part of the tierod, and as the steering box gets further from the pass. side wheel, the toe-in distance decreases.

You can set your own toe-in very easily by loosening the adjustment sleeve on the draglink and lengthening it. I would turn it a few times to get that 1/8" back and straighten your steering wheel.

you should definitely adjust it, unlike me who didn't after my 4" lift and there is now noticeable wear on my front tires. it takes 10 minutes to do and is worth it.

Anytime I do any mods on the suspension, I drive it straight to the alignment shop. Cheaper saving tires in the long run.

Back