transmission fluid

4x4Fish

well finally figured out a way to change the transmission fliud. i had to take a #50 torx bit and jam it into the hole of the drain plug to get the plug out..[addsig]

Well did you get it changed????
If so and I do hope so then it was
all worth it right???? :-D [addsig]

yep it worked, i used mobil 1 synthetic gear oil. now i just have to clean up the drive way..[addsig]

That's a small price to pay for victory...on
second thought do it in your neighbors
driveway next time :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe
not....[addsig]

The torx plugs in Wrangler manual trannies are labeled "Do not Remove". It wasn't your drain plug :-O :lol:

The drain and fill plug are large hex bolts, drain on very bottom rear center, and fill is high on the passenger side.[addsig]

i used the torx bit because i could not find the right hex bit, i went to 3 different auto parts stores in my neighborhood, and nobody had the right size bit. i was able to get the fill plug out with a locking vise grips. so i had to improvise with the torx on the drain plug[addsig]

The drain plugs don't have a hole in them for a wrench, you have to put a wrench on them, like a crescent wrench or vice grips or the appropriate size box wrench. I think you removed the wrong plug.[addsig]

1987 peugot trans, drain plug lower rear center. fill plug passenger side high up, center to rear..both of mine have a square indentation in them. they both match up with what is in the haynes, and chiltons books[addsig]

Someone else moight have just put something
in there to fit....and might not have put the
original back in there........ :-? [addsig]

yeah i am kicking myself in the ass about that one....once i do the clutch i will look for replacement plugs[addsig]

I had the same problem when the peucrap was still in my jeep what we did was take some sort of measureing device and measured the opening then found an alan wrench that was the same size and ground off two sides so it fit in worked great.
Hope this helps Evan[addsig]

I grinded a 3/8 extention till it fitted and had no problem... but refilling the trany was the trouble, had to buy an oil pump for $5... going to change it again soon , can anyone suggest a oil grade and brand???[addsig]

Back