Transmission grind from 1st to 2nd, then really tough to go from 2nd to 3rd.

Juan9678

I have a 95-YJ, 4cyl, 5-speed, it has about 90,000 miles. When I shift from 1st to 2nd gear, it grinds. Then when I go to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear, it's really tough to get it out of 2nd. Any insight to point me in the right direction of what this could be would be appreciated.

check your clutch oil level you can try and change out the transmission oil to penzoil synchromesh or something similar , I use red line in my car , see if any of that helps but it is possible the the synchronizers are going out in transmission

slave cylinder may be going out, or as mantioned above the synchros in the transmission. I would guess the slave though, a buddy of mine went through similar situation with his 94, but his would also want to take off on its own too.

Switching the gear oil in the transmission to Redline MT90 should improve shifting. Sounds like your syncros are going bad in the transmission.

The sooner you change the gear oil the better. Watch the fluid you drain for brass glitter, that's from your syncros.

Back