transmission help

Jeepenstevo

I have a 90 jeep wrangler 4.2l and when i go to shift it doesn' t want to go into gear it grides the gears. Aslo when its idleing there is a griding sound coming from the transmission but when i push the clutch in it goes away. i have the stock manual transmission that in the 1990 jeep. If anyone has any idea what is wrong please let me know. Thanks[addsig]

sounds like your syncros may be shot, or your clutch isn't fully disengaging the flywheel. either way, it's unfortunately not the best news you can have.

how long have you had the rig, and how long has the sound been there?[addsig]

i can't say what is quite wrong... but i do have a few questions... does it make the noises when you are sitting in neutral still as well? Can you get into and drive in all gears, including reverse? Have you checked your gear oil?[addsig]

I have had the jeep for 2 years. I rebuilt the transmission year ago. The noise started today. Yes, when i am sitting in neutral it does make the noise. I can drive it but its hard to get it into 2nd gear. Aslo it is hard to get it into 4th but reverse isn't that bad. What do you all think is the best thing to do?
[addsig]

synchro trouble will stop you from getting in gear... but may not explain the noise while driving.. unless you have damaged synchros with parts floating around
[addsig]

I had the same problem it was my syncros. Looks like your going to have to rebuild it again. Sorry.[addsig]

Did you redo the clutch and throw out berring slave cylinder ect.. when you rebuilt the transmission? Tug[addsig]

2nd and 4th gear use the same syncro. if both are grinding when going into gear, well. . .

did you do the rebuild? if so, did you install new syncro rings?

when they go, they usually loose all their brass/bronze teeth which float around in the oil and get ground up in the gears then work their way into the roller bearings in the idler shaft.

if you drain your gear oil and it's got parts - tiny little brass parts - you may need to yank it again.

sorry. not sure i'd go through the trouble rebuilding again. unless a rebuilt one is way pricey. anyone know what a rebuilt transmission goes for these days?[addsig]

id pull the trans back and eyeball the clutch 1st. to get a standard trans rebuilt isnt to bad 300.00-400.00 bucks [addsig]

is an auto transmission a more expensive rebuild?[addsig]

Throw some synthetic Redline MT90 in that transmission and see how she does, may be able to avoid another costly rebuild.[addsig]

Back