Transmission myth ?

Crusty

I recently obtained a 2000 Cherokee with 99000 miles. I do not know the history, but I changed the coolant because it was black with thick sludge in the overflow container. With this in mind, I wonder if the transmission was serviced? I have heard if an automatic transmission has never been serviced, it is better to leave it alone. Something about screwing up the bands and pumps. My knowledge of transmissions is when you put it in gear it is supposed to go. Currently it seems to be working fine, but what do I know, I'm used to straight drive. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Is the transmission oil nice and bright red? If not then a flush and fill is in order. never disregard your transmission oil. Take a look at the brake fluid....is it nice and clear? if not it needs a change. Most oils hard hydroscopic meaning they can take in water just from the moisture in the air. Transmission oil can be burning in normal wear. I think I was told anything over 150 degrees operating temperature and it looses life...some where down to 50K miles.

I recently obtained a 2000 Cherokee with 99000 miles. I do not know the history, but I changed the coolant because it was black with thick sludge in the overflow container. With this in mind, I wonder if the transmission was serviced? I have heard if an automatic transmission has never been serviced, it is better to leave it alone. Something about screwing up the bands and pumps. My knowledge of transmissions is when you put it in gear it is supposed to go. Currently it seems to be working fine, but what do I know, I'm used to straight drive. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

there should be a drain plug in the bottom of the trans oil pan, 14mm bolt if i recall ?? you can drain it there, and fill it threw the dip stick tube. repete as needed. takes about 4-5 quarts.

Thanks for the info, think I will change it, may take it to a transmission shop since I am not equipted for such an undertaking.

Back