Transmission Question

flip124

Alright i just purchased a 1998 TJ with a 5spd transmission. When i go to cycle back through the gears there is some delay to get it into each gear. Its like the shifter stops and then continues again. Is this normal?

Also even with the clutch pedal pushed to the floor are you supposed to hear the transmission switch gears? Its a grinding noise but not to the extent of where you shift without the pedal pushed in.

Thanks
TJ

Check or at better yet drain the transmission and refill with Pensoil Synromesh! The transmission will shift much better, You will portect the brass synros and parts in the transmission and the world will look brighter. tug

well... there IS physical movement in the transmission of hard parts moving into each other... so the chances of there being a sound is pretty good... some transmissions shift louder than others, due to different oils, designs, and even what is inside the jeep can deaden some sounds... the point at which the shifter "stops" in its motion is where your synchronizer is coming together... dont try to force it past this point, it WILL go eventually, as soon as the shafts are synchronized.... you can replace your transmission oil with redline MT series oil.. or go to autozone and pick up some pennzoil synchromesh fluid... both will improve your shifting dramatically and will help prolong the life of the transmission

its normal to hear noise when shifting the trans, but if its hard to get into the gears i would check fluids, u may be low

yes it does smoke when i take the oil filler cap off!!!

I dont have a manual to look at yet. Is there a dipstick im missing or how do i check the level of fluid?

Back