Transmission questions...

pbudzy

Ok 1989 Cherokee 4.0 Auto....fluid is not new and right at the full line, all i know the fluid has been in there for 190k which is what the vehicle has on it...now for the questions...the other day I drove home from the club and it would not go above 2nd gear so I was whining home at 35 mph the whole way, checked the fluid and its at level....next day it drove fine from house to the store and back....day after that it drove fine to the stoplight at the store then it seemed to drop into low low or whatever and it really strained to keep the engine running...got to store and on the way home was fine shifted all the way to 3rd and no problems......What do you guys think I should do at this point, I see no leaks at or around the transmission.:x

I am wondering if a fluid flush might help.:cry:

I would say its brownish...i didnt smell it I will do that tomorrow, but I beleive it has lost its viscosity so i will drain some out and put in some new to test my theory.

Flush, fill, and new filter might help. Hopefully, there isn't any damage to the internals of the transmission.

Even though you have fluid, if the filter is clogged then the fluid isn't going any where fast. When you remove the pan, be sure to check for metal chips in the filter or on the magnet that should be at the bottom of the pan.

Back