transmission whining in 2nd and 3rd

Sacredgroove

wtb transmission-t5 or stronger equivalent

sounds like a little friction when i wind up second and 3rd....its a 84 cj7 with the t5...seems to have come on suddenly last couple days. going to replace fluid with mt90 and see if that helps it,but would welcome any suggestions. I am hunting a t5 or equivelant for a spare in case synchs or gears are shot if anyone has one available. a relatively recent rebuilt one would be great ;) sacredgroove@nc.rr.com

get that fluid in there and let us know what's up.. that can be a night/day deal with that stuff

sounds like the "cluster gear" went out' My old T176 was noisy in all gears but 4th. The cluster gear is the main shaft all the other gears spin on. Not sure what the rebuild cost is, my back in the day (86' 87ish) bent me over for $800 Had I known I could have swapped in the T18 then for that, I'd have done it then. I was young then, and new to jeepin. Didn't have the knowledge and experience of a jeep club then either. (or the internet!)
Good luck....

cj to yj

i bought a rebuilt t5 from jaspers from a local 4x4 shop owner for $750,no miles on it with full 12 month warranty including labor.
so,doing that and clutch next week,possibly u-joints for front shaft if needed.

purpleyjgirl's new Jeep Grande Cherokee

I bought a rebuilt ax-15 out of orlando florida less than 6 months ago I paid $950 for it and it has a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty. It was the cheapest I found. But my old transmission was grinding in 3rd and 4th gear and I opened it to try to repair it myself, but to much damage and to much money.

well,i hopefully get my jeep back tomorrow. the clutch linkage was shot and ovalled out and that is the suspect for tearing up my transmission :/
roughly $1600 for new(rebuilt from jasper's) transmission,clutch and clutch linkage.
maybe ill get to enjoy the rest of the summer before the jeep decides it doesnt want to work again lol

Back