Transmission worth it?

Looks like a pretty good deal with the free shipping compared to everybody else. Better than the junk yard option, especially with the warranty included.

redrooster said:
Seems like you could get yours rebuilt for that. Got any quotes from local shops?

Yeah a I took it to a local guy he said he could rebuild it for 800 plus cost of parts... so over a grand def. but that is also installed.

I am leaning toward doing it myself, I have a couple friends that said they would help me. We are all used to working on 30 year old muscle cars though.

I got a rebuilt ax15 and gave them my core ( this was at a local shop) for $850. the ebay sounds like a pretty fair deal to me. if my jeep was not my daily driver i would have done it myself(by done it myself, i mean {learned how to} do it myself.

Consider removing it and reinstalling it yourself and have a transmission shop rebuild it, see what labor and parts would cost then. Most of the labor is removal and install.

That ebay transmission looks like a good deal.

Don't forget, only use Redline MT90 in the AX5 and AX15 transmission unless you want to be replacing it again.

Thanks for the input, but now I just realized there is a core charge... dunno how much. That means I have to ship my old one back to them too.

Just called them, it's 350 core charge, but they hold it on your credit card for 30 days or until they get the old transmission. I would get their discounted ship cost too for 90 bucks. So it would be 739 total.

Last edited:

Is the redline mt90 good for a 30rh auto and if so where do you get it ?

It's not ATF, I wouldn't use it in an auto. It's a synthetic GL4 gearoil specially formulated to be easy on the soft brass synchros like those found in the Aisin Warner manual trannies.

Back