Troubled Trany

K-Phat

He guys been a little while. Been having some PC problems. Anyway just put 50 thousand on the TJ and got that warn 9.5ti on it so I will be posting pics once I get the PC strait. Problem is that just after the 50k I noticed noises and shifting issues wtih my transmission. It was acting up really bad this morning so I stoped in at the first auto shop I came upon. The put it up on the rack and drove it around and it turns out that I need a complete overhaul on the trany. So I limped home and now I've got to get it fixed. The question I have is has anyone had to go through with this and how much and how long did it take to fix. Again I have a 99 TJ Sport witht the 5spd in it. I also just changed the transmission fluid about 2 thousand ago. Later

Might be better trying to find a good used transmission.

What gear oil did you install? Chances are it was the factory recommended GL5 gear oil, same that was in there when you bought it. Turns out that the GL5's high sulfer content is very corrosive on AX15 trannies like yours, along with the AX5. It eats up the soft brass synchronizers. Do a google search for 'GL5 synchronizer' and you'll find a lot of info. DC messed up big with this one, but won't own up to it.

Try installing Redline MT90, it's specially formulated to be easy on the synchronizers, and is synthetic. It may just improve your transmission enough to put off a replacement/rebuild until you're ready.

Back