Two diff size brake calipers on font of a cj7

CJDan

An someone tell me as to why this is..even peopboys does not know...I'm sure it was original...can someone tell me what this would be?

The ones on my 85 CJ7 were the same size (if memory serves).

Do you have power brakes?

Remember the older jeeps are built with many parts that go to other vehicles so they used anything that was available at the time you never know what parts next and what its from lol

No I don't have power breaks...and yes that's tru many parts were exchangeable... It's just so confusing as to why someone would do that..now I'm goin to have the harder town tryin to find the correct caliper

I have a levi jeep in my junk yard that has bigger calipers than other models. Maybe someone has changed it out in the past. The caliper, rotor and pads are all different. It's hard to believe that jeep would put two diferent calipers on one jeep.

is it salvagable and for sale?
Yes it's for sale. Might be salvagable. Depends on hw much work you want to put into it. Frame is rusted bad. Missing some front end parts and steering column parts. No engine or transmision. I'll see if i can get a pic of it if your interested. I think the windshield frame is missing too.

Is the bracket the same type. newer models used 2 bolts and I think the 81 used a flat Allen keys type bolt. If it is a Allen key then they used an earlier bracket . Probably broke the original one and got one from a junk yard.

No power brakes so I assume drums , take a picture of what you have along with casting # on caliper/cylinder piston , I may have a few laying around , I also have brand new drums and pads I can't use since jeeps are going to scrap yard Ill let go cheap cheap
Another thing jeep did was use a lot of AMC Hornet/Gremlin parts in the brake assembly's back then since they were readily available

PM me if you want to discuss any transaction type stuff since it is not allowed in this forum

John

Last edited:
Back