valve cover oil fill cap leak

pghpenna

Well I fixed the oil cap leak by installing a new cap (seemed simple enough), However in the process I now have a half dozen leaks coming from the valve cover gasket. Is this engine under that much pressure to make these leaks happen? I was told there is no PCV valve on my girl friends 1993 YJ (4.0) 6 cyl engine, Is this a true statement? I removed the two hoses on the valve cover and there was no PCV seated in either of these hoses at the base.

edited by: pghpenna, Mar 18, 2003 - 06:02 PM[addsig]

my first guess is that your valve cover gasket is old and cracked up. pick up a new one. i suggest using one from a parts store (an actual gasket) because when i went to the dealer they handed me a tube of silicone. haha... that didn't work out too well. the pressure might be high because the pcv/ccv system is gummed up. the PCV valve isn't in/on the valve cover, it is on the intake manifold... thats why you didn't find it on the valve cover.[addsig]

I am not sure whether your model has a PCV, but I am
experiencing similar problems- lots of little drips-- which
appeared after i replaced PCV and oil cap. Less than before
but leaking all the same.
I am thinking of replacing the valve cover gasket- which should
not be too difficult.
I think i will do it this weekend
good luck :cool: [addsig]

It probably has the CCV system, closed crankcase ventilation. Your engine either has a really bad blowby problem (bad rings) or the CCV system is working improperly. Check for dry-rotted or collapsed vacuum lines and replace. Check for a brass fitting where the intake manifold vacuum enters the valve cover, remove and clean the small orifice inside, it usually plugs up with carbon.

A compression test would tell if you had blowby, gases getting by the rings and into the crankcase.[addsig]

Back