What is that rubbing sound?

kruzer022

I have a '89 Wrangler that i bought like 3 weeks ago. It was fine when i bought it, but about a week after i got it i started to feel a rub. it started small; i could only hear/feel it when i would go around corners, but now i can feel it all the time when im driving. The only lift it has is shackles. It has 31" tires. I looked and it isn't rubbing anywhere on the fenders or anything that i could see. any help would be appriciated.[addsig]

This is cool. I also have an 89 wrangler with only an extended shackle lift. Is your jeep black too? If so, then we must live in a parallel universe! Ok, maybe not, but I know exactly what this is. Although your 31" tires fit when you're going straight, when you turn all the way to the left or right, the insides of your tire are rubbing the leaf spring. I had this problem too and had to drop to a 30" to prevent it. If it's rubbing even when you are not turning, then you may have loosen a hose or even the brake line is touching the tire. Do some tests with a buddy... go to a parking lot, like kmart or something, and one of you drive real slow, i mean crawling, and turn all the way to one side, the other person should walk with the vehicle looking to see where the rubbing is coming from. Try both directions and on both sides. Also, with 31" your tires will rub the flares when the shocks are completely compressed. Hope this helps!

image-missing.png
[addsig]

I have a 91 yj, with 31-10.50's Goodyear MTR's with no lift, they rub the rear finder flares at the bottom front side, when i go over bumps and on the front leaf spring the bracket that hold the springs together, put a chalk line on the inside of your tires and turn if it rubs off that your problem they may not be rubbing enough to cause tire damage, but just enough to drive you nuts.[addsig]

Back