What's mod is best for power and efficiency

What product will give the most bang for your buck?

• Throttle body/spacer

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Cold air intake

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • ARB snorkel

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Catback exhaust

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters

raptor_pilot

I have a '93 YJ with a 6 cyl and automatic trans. What modification will give me the most bang for my buck? I'm looking to get more horsepower/torque and fuel efficiency. I was wondering who has experience with any of these diferent mods and any comments on them. Thanks as always.
Mike

The easiest and cheapest (free) mod is to remove the air restrictor. It's in the intake tube going from your airbox to the intake. Just pops out with a screwdriver. As for TBS, exhaust ect you probably won't notice very much of a difference with any one of these but put them all together and you should notice a difference. I found the snorkel on my jeep added a little to fuel efficiency and power because it acts kinda like a ram air and has a constant flow of cool, clean air. Even if I didn't use a snorkel for what it's supposed to be used for, I'd rather have the snorkel because you get both the snorkel and a cold air intake....and it's not much more $$$ than some of the cold air intakes on the market.

Last edited:
Dont waste your $ on the TB spacers. Get a bored out TB and air intake for the top end and get a flowmaster and header(banks/borla/thorely)

Get an open filter (K&N or w/e), larger bore throttle body, headers, and something to open up the back end of the exhaust (catback, glasspack, w/e). Doing one end and not the other isnt getting the full potential. Just because you can dump a whole bunch of air in doesnt mean you can get it all out, and just because you can get a whole lot of it out, doesnt mean you can pull a bunch in. If you open up both ends of the system the (front is intake, rear is muffler AND headers) you can flow a lot more through the engine

Single mod: Electric fan conversion.

Most effective combo: K&N (or similar) Intake and full exhaust mods

Last edited:

As most have stated three mods will improve your MPG and HP.
Cat back and bigger exhaust with a throatier muffler.
Cold air intake. (skip the throttle body)
The loose the mechanical fan and gain 12 hp with electric fans.

After that...regear your diffs, then loose the 3 speed auto and drop in a TH700R 4 speed auto.

I just picked up a 93 yj same set up. I was worried about the auto trans offroad. Any problems you have noticed or advice to fix something before it becomes a problem?

I like my TF999. I would like to have a 4sp, but your looking at big $$$ for a 700r and adapter for the I6. I would look into a shift kit to firm it up a little. Auto's don't like water to much, stay clear of the really deep stuff.

Utah_jeepster said:
The loose the mechanical fan and gain 12 hp with electric fans.

Maybe if you're stock mechanical fan weighed like 50lbs. In reality, you'll only gain a horsepower or two at the most.

88Wrangles said:
Maybe if you're stock mechanical fan weighed like 50lbs. In reality, you'll only gain a horsepower or two at the most.

It felt like a near 10% increase in the 4 cyl YJ I had and I am not exaggerating. It was the only single mod that made an immediate noticeable difference.

I've heard stats that approach that on other vehicles as well. Thats a common mod for getting horsepower in muscle cars. You'd be amazed how much resistance air creates, and how much power is lost that way.

Back