Whats this thing worth?

mx racer 904

I am looking at my sister in laws

1990 Wrangler S...not sure on TJ or YJ...

brand new 4 cyl "crate" engine and new rebuild 5 speed manual transmission....

just over 100k miles

fresh paint job--one rust spot on right front fender...

top 1 yr old

seats in good shape---no back seat

no frame rust and was treated with POR-15

She needs the money and I had a CJ5 rust bucket I sold and I would love to get it off her hands and in mine but dont want to take a bath either...

she bought it for 4k

what do you think?

Being that it is a 4 cylinder it's worth about $3,500 tops to me. It is a YJ and the 2.5 YJs all had fuel injection so that’s a plus and the top being in good shape etc helps but the problem you have is the family connection. You can't be perceived as cheating the sister-in-law or family get togethers could become uncomfortable. If you want the jeep giver her the $4K she paid for it and never say another word other than you love the jeep, if not you aren't in the market for a jeep at this time. (or at least until she sells hers)

4k sounds about right with it having a new crate motor.Just look around in your area for other 4 banger YJ's to compare it to.

i like my sis in law..i was just hoping i wasnt getting robbed....so i am just gonna do it...thanks guys

wouldn't pay more than $1500.. in reality it is a low option 20 year old vehicle with 100,000 miles that are dime a dozen. if it were a rare 40 year old jeep, perhaps, but not a YJ.

The part that worries me is the rebuilt transmission; the 2.5L is a bulletproof engine, but the transmission on that engine is a whole other ball-game... I have heard many of the AX-5 getting rebuilt and still acting up. By the way, the '90 is TBI IIRC, not MPFI, which has a couple more horses.

cool....

JPS you may get a YJ in Boston for 1500 but you wouldnt touch one anywhere near that hear

$3500. is bout going rate here for any running jeep 20+ years Im in colorado even the biggest pos out there
check nada , or kelly blue book look at good catagory will give you a idea of a fair price

Sounds fair to me.....crater a plus for sure. Jeeps are weird, just like a normal car, they drop valule right off the lot. But, after a while the price seems to level off and not go down any more. At least that's what happens in Indiana.

I'd say $3000 and not much more, the 2.5L is the weaker TBI version before the switch to MPFI in '91.

JPS you may get a YJ in Boston for 1500 but you wouldnt touch one anywhere near that hear

No.. I would not pay more than $1500 for THAT YJ. if it were a 94 or 95 with a 6cyl, well optioned and low miles that was taken care of (because a motor and or transmission being rebuilt with under 100,000 miles means it has been neglected at some point) then I would surely pay $3000-$4000. I don't care where you live, that jeep is not worth $4000.

a huge problem with used vehicles right now is C4C has thinned out the used car market, so getting a good running reliable used vehicle is getting harder, hence in return it is increasing the resale value of vehicles. so many good running vehicles were traded in and destroyed under the C4C program. Regardless of this, I still would not let the sellers dictate what something is worth and pay more than what it is.

IMO $2000, but prices vary a lot depending on market.
Just for a comparison three years ago I bought my 98 TJ Sahara for $3000 and drove it home to start my build.

I have never owned a 4 cyl Jeep (had 7 all 6's) and never will, hold out for a 6.
All those cheap Jeeps out there are 4's.

I have never owned a 4 cyl Jeep (had 7 all 6's) and never will, hold out for a 6.
All those cheap Jeeps out there are 4's.

I have a 4 banger, and I really dont mind it. If regeared properly, it will hold it's own quite well versus an I6, especially offroading (the bigger performance gap is at highway speeds, not on the trail)

I got the 4 banger...love it. It's not "cheap" at all. Still quality Jeep. I guess were not as cool as him!

I got the 4 banger...love it. It's not "cheap" at all. Still quality Jeep. I guess were not as cool as him!

Much cooler to have a 4 banger.:lol:

Easy to just gun it and use the horse power of the I6 or a V8 to make out up a hill or out of a mud pit.It takes finesse and skill to get the 4 banger up the hill and out of the mud pit.

Yep, yep. And we have to be especially skillful because of our weaker AX-5 transmission :lol:

Back