Which CJ to buy

psbeaman

I am currently looking at two CJ-7, but can't figure out which one is the better deal. Both have there good points and bad points. So take a look and see what you think....
1978 CJ-7
JEEP CJ 7 sweet jeep
Guy has just replaced the seats with corbeau seat belts and rhino lined the interior. Says it has been garage kept and a weekend driver. This is my first choice, but wish it was a manual and I would be waiting at the guys door. Asking 4500
or
1884 CJ-7
1984 Jeep CJ 7
Seats are a little beat up and it has a fiberglass tub. Hard top only. Spare wheel rim is different from the rest and it has 3 different types of tires for some reason. It is a little beat up, but body looks ok. Asking 3800
So one is all fixed up and the other is not. Thoughts or concerns on either of these? When finished looks like the 78 will be cheaper in the long run, but part of the weekend driver would love a manual transmission. Thanks guys.

the 78 sounds to be a better deal. I always get suspicious when I see all sorts of diffrent tires on a car - why? The only answer I can get is the owner is a cheapskate. Either he can't afford tires or is keeping the 'good' tires and throwing on whatever is round and not leaking - again, being cheap.
So if the owner is cheap then what else may have been cheaped out on that you'll find later and have to fix? Since he's tubbed it and would appear to be cheap (or poor - often very similar conditions result) what things were not done well? And part of the fun of a Jeep is running naked so a HT is great for a daily driver and will help mileage a bit over a soft top, it's not as much fun IMO.

My YJ is auto and i've had manual transmission jeeps in the past and I prefer auto. If you're driving daily it's just less hassle. If you're off road you have torque multiplication of the torque converter that helps you, you can't stall it, can two-foot it and drive at mm per hour speeds forward or reverse.

personal preference really, but i would check seals on both jeeps, ie.. rear main, trans., transfer case, pinion. replacing that stuff is tedious and could get expensive. offer him 3800 for the blue one and problem solved:shades: i know it sayf firm, but few things really are. cash talks!

cosmetics is easy,take the one that has less mechanical problems check everything thats the better jeep.get it inspected by a real mechanic.ive seen people get caught up with someone elses head ache over and over,

The fiberglass tub eliminates the 84 for me right up front. Having said that I have to ask, why would the guy with the 78 be Rhino lining the interior if he is going to get rid of it, to hide the rusted out floor? Maybe, but if so I would rather he not line it before the floor can be properly fixed, OK to line it after.

The only other thing is the 78 comes with Quadra Track. It doesn't act like a 20/300 x-case as its all wheel drive all the time. I'm not even sure you could use lockers unless they can be disconnected on pavement. To me that’s not a deal breaker but if you plan on becoming a hard core rock guy you may want to pass on them both.

Back