Whoops

MarkFred

1097916_704733536209754_775217687_o.jpg I need a winch. What do you people recommend?

Stay out of mud cause MUD=DUM.

Warm is good and has been around a long time.

Warn. Yes- damn autocorrect.

Last edited:

Mud does not = dum!!! Mud is fun!!

When deciding the towing capacity of your winch purchase, remember to consider the strain that mud will add to your winch. I have a warn 9500lb that has never let me down.

Well if you don't get all the mud out now. In 3-5 yrs your frame will be rotted out. I had an F150 that I played in the mud with and thought I cleaned all the mud out of the frame and tube side steps. It all rotted. Had to let the truck go.

Be sure you clean out the pumpkins and transmission. Radiator and AC condenser.

P.S. on the winch. Be sure to have a large enough battery, keep the engine running at least 1000 rpm when winching and use the correct gauge wiring directly to the battery.

Last edited:
several things to consider is the pull capacity and the amp draw. This chart will help you see the difference in pull type and amp drawn. And one thing to remember this is a large hood ornament till you have to use it, then its an ornament again. You don't have to get the biggest and baddest if your need is less than once a year. I have had mine on my jeep for over 6 years and only used it once.

Now, in a situation like in your photo, do you want the winch in the back or or in the front? Assuming your drove forward into the muck, do you want to be pulled further in or back out?:D

Warn makes nice winches, but they are expensive. If you will use it a lot, I'd go Warn. But if it will rarely be used, then there's a lot of others to consider. Just shop the local off road store, catalog, or Craigs List.

I bought a champion winch at tractor supply a few years back. Best $450 ever spent. I have used a dozen times extracting my jeep and worked very well. Even use to move logs every season while cutting fire wood. Front or rear doesn't matter with a good snatch block. Also an optima battery is also key!! Should have one any way on a rig that goes the places we put our jeeps. Aaa wouldn't even begin to help us out in the woods!!

Warn has their VR winches. They are fairly nice, good cheap intro winch and come in 8k, 10k and I think 12k ratings. I picked up the 10k for my YJ for 400 or so. I have only used it once to winch my dead Jeep into the garage when we moved and I can say it did a great job pulling! Lol.

Keep us updated with what you choose.

Bacon

If you mud, you want a good winch... Trust me on this one. Warn and Superwinch are the top choices for me. I have the Superwinch EPi 9.0 and it has not let me down in over 5 years, even in mud holes deeper than the one you show. When you are mudding, you need not only consider the weight of the Jeep, but also the weight of the mud IN FRONT of the Jeep, which you will in many cases need to bulldoze with your winch. Also, watch out what tree you hook up to; make sure they have strong roots, otherwise you will have a new roof ornament before you notice (do NOT ask how I learned that, please!).

I also agree with Utah in that a winch, much like an insurance, will seem like a complete waste of money right up to the time you need it. Only THEN will you be happy you have bought it. Also remember that if you buy a synthetic line, you need to wash it after each outing. For me, I prefer cable for mud, as many rocks are hidden in the mud, but that's a personal choice. Here's a couple of short videos (same hole in Costa Rica) Ito show you how the Superwinch has gotten me out of sticky situations before (notice that we took the winch out BEFORE we got into the hole; also note the other Jeep running 37's stuck in the mud - it took 3 winches to get him out!):

Felipe

Back