Will a faulty clutch slave cause the master to go bad?

Craig

RE: new here, howzit

My clutch is gone again for the 3'rd time in about 6 months. The first time it was a bad master cylinder. The second time was another bad master cylinder (it only lasted me 3 days) which was replaced under warranty. Now my clutch pedal is gone again. I can't find any leaks anywhere. I've checked in the engine compartment around the master, under the dashboard around the master and underneath the jeep around the transmission and nothing ...everything's dry. I just topped up my master and got my pedal back but it goes after sitting for a while and after a day of use. Could a faulty slave cylinder cause the master cylinder to go bad? I don't see how. I don't want to replace the slave if I don't have to since it's inside the transmission and is an expensive job...I'm too lazy to even think about doing it myself.

Oh ya. If it turns out to be my slave, I'm gonna replace the clutch while it's all apart. I want to put in a dual friction centerforce clutch but have been told that it's not possible because it'll hit my internal slave cylinder. Has anyone put one in with an internal slave? How hard is it to move the slave to the outside of the transmission? If it's gonna be too much of a pain to do the centerforce, can anyone recommend a good, strong, heavy duty clutch that doesn't need a lot of pedal pressure....I have to sit in rush hour traffic for almost an hour every day and my foot gets sore.

RE: Re: 95 YJ Hardtop for sale in Boregon and possibly hard

having just gone thru this about 6 or 7 months ago, i'd say you should definitely replace the whole system. i had a bad slave cylinder that was leaking, couldn't hold fluid more than a day or two at most. my mech said replacing the slave would be a temporary fix and that i should just replace the master as well. i also had a new clutch installed in the process. first clutch problems i've had since i bought the thing back in '96.

'93 YJ 4.0L
2.5" lift

I can't answer the fitment problem, but I can vouch for the centerforce line of clutches. Excellent quality and they grab like crazy, with minimal pedal pressure.

Junkpile said:
I can't answer the fitment problem, but I can vouch for the centerforce line of clutches. Excellent quality and they grab like crazy, with minimal pedal pressure.
I used to have one in my old RX-7. Best clutch I ever owned.

Back