Will YJ springs work on a CJ?

Troy93YJ

Hey Guys,
I recently bought a 93' Wrangler YJ and my buddy has a 70's CJ. The guy I bought my YJ from had another 93' that had been rolled, but most of the mechanical components are still good including the suspension. My buddy needs new springs and I was wondering if we dropped them from the YJ if they would bolt up or would need modifications? We have the whole suspension from that Jeep at our finger tips...
Thanks!

------------------
Red 93' Wrangler YJ

I believe that the YJ springs are going to be longer than your CJ's. You'd have to move and reweld the spring perches, I think that the shocks are different too, but they do sell adapters.

measure the length of the springs, and decide if it's worth doing. I think that the longer springs would give you a much better ride.

Terry

Thanks Terry!
I'll measure everything out when I get there and see what has to be changed and then I will compare to replacing from catalogs. I have a feeling it might be easier to just buy new replacments.

------------------
Red 93' Wrangler YJ

I'm not sure about the 70's CJ, but the following is true for 80-86 CJ's.

The CJ rear leafs are the same as YJ's, same length and width of 2.5"'s. The front springs on CJ's are 2"'s wide, where YJ's are 2.5"'s. CJ springs are also slightly shorter...about 1/2 to 3/4"'s shorter than YJ springs... This can be handled by moving the front shackle mount forward.

The main problem with swaping in stock YJ springs into a CJ is that you will actually lower the CJ... although the ride will be better.

Stock YJ can only handle 30" tires, whereas a stock CJ can handle 31's...

Many CJ owners use stock YJ springs in SOA (Spring Over Axle) conversions, but that is a topic for another time.

--
CJ8
Monroe, Wa

X-Blade,
SOA is exactly what we are going to be doing. Sorry I never made a comment on it, but that was our plan. We were not sure if the springs would work at all.
If you have any info or know of any sites with info it would be greatly appreciated...
THANKS!

------------------
Red 93' Wrangler YJ

Testing new Signature

------------------
Red 93' Wrangler YJ
4" Rancho Suspension Lift
31" Wilderness AT
6000 LB. Ramsey Winch
"Future Plans"
New Spice Soft Top
Tuffy Speaker/Safe Boxes