Xj leaky brake caliper

Hurtinalbertan

Hey everyone, newbie here.
I bought a 96 Xj sport 4.0 HO about 8 months ago. Long story short, I love the rig. 450 000 kms and runnin strong.
I recently ran into my first issue.
The brake warning light on the console lit up a couple weeks ago, and I thought nothing of it. The brakes seemed to be working fine.
A couple days ago, I went to fuel up. It was -30 outside. As I was driving down the back lane, I hit the brakes and nothing happened. Luckly I was going really slow. I pumped the pedal a couple times and got some pressure, but that only lasted for a couple seconds.
I limped the poor girl into my backyard real slow.
I hopped under her and noticed the front left caliper had brake fluid all over it.
Sooooooo I pulled off the caliper and had a look. Looks like the piston seal is shot.
I found me a nice set of used front calipers on kijiji for 60 bucks.
I replaced the problem caliper with a good one.
The thing is, I'm still not getting any pressure!

I'm going to bleed the lines again and see how she works, but I figured I would come on here and vent my angers, since this is driving me absolutely nuts.

Any ideas???
Thanks!

I usually bench bleed the component before i install it on the vehicle and it takes less time purging the air out after installation. You can try using a foot long rubber hose that will fit snug on the bleeder screw and a pint mason jar. fill the jar 1/4 with brake fluid, just enough to keep the one end of the hose submerged. Partially open the bleeder and top off the reservoir, press the brake pedal slowly about 4-5 times and releasing it slow each time its depressed. Always keep the reservoir topped off. Do this on the remaining calipers/ brake cylinder as nescessary.

SteelHeadz said:
I usually bench bleed the component before i install it on the vehicle and it takes less time purging the air out after installation. You can try using a foot long rubber hose that will fit snug on the bleeder screw and a pint mason jar. fill the jar 1/4 with brake fluid, just enough to keep the one end of the hose submerged. Partially open the bleeder and top off the reservoir, press the brake pedal slowly about 4-5 times and releasing it slow each time its depressed. Always keep the reservoir topped off. Do this on the remaining calipers/ brake cylinder as nescessary.

Worked like a charm! I never thought of doing it that way. Thanks a lot. WOOOOH! lol

Back