YJ or TJ?

blackjeep

I am about to get one or the other...if you had the choice between a '95 YJ, that has 1inch lift, canyon rims, 31inch Goodyears, 2 tops, 2 sets of doors (safari and halfs) nice front and rear tube bumpers, lights or............

A stock '98 TJ SE 2.5 with new tires and nothing else special, both are the same price and both are within 5,000 miles of each other on the odometer. I am not wanting to spend a lot of money...this is second vehicle that will be used for daily driving to work and playin on the weekends.

Any comments or opinions?

Thanks.

Im more of a round headlight guy myself. You have to weigh the options of what, if any mods, you will be doing to it, and the amount of time you will be wheeling it.

I said Yj because, assuming it has the 4.0, it is a far better motor than the 2.5. it is not uncommon for those motors to go for two hundred thousand miles before needing a re-build (obviously taken care of) the 2.5, while it is a good motors, but will generally only get about 70-100 K miles before needing a rebuild, plus the power out of them plain sucks. Your MPG will be about the same for both motors, the YJ has a AX15 (if manual) and is a far better transmission than the AX5 in that TJ

Both of them have the 4 banger in them...I really won't be wheeling alot except on the beach. It will be a daily driver mainly but will be in the woods occasionally.

Thank you for the repsonse, I am within 1 hour of deciding.

I like the TJ and I like the YJ...the YJ is looks great, the guy really took his time keeping it clean.

i'd go YJ ... (my own bias...) the TJ's are nicer suspension-wise but i like the relative "simplicity" of the YJ = no air bags, no antilock brakes, no "car-like" dash... less things to go wrong or get in the way of mods in my opinion... ultimately they're both jeeps... plus the YJ is late in the production run - not many bugs there... the TJ is kinda early in its run... like i said... its your choice - but i'd go YJ - on my 2nd now and looking for a newer one now....

the 2.5, while it is a good motors, but will generally only get about 70-100 K miles before needing a rebuild

That's not necessarily true; both the 4.0L and the 2.5L will last about the same if taken care of the same way. Transmissions might be a different stories, but the 2.5L is a durable engine... Go to www.4bangerjp.com and you will find many of us running 100K+ miles with still strong engines.

plus the power out of them plain sucks. Your MPG will be about the same for both motors, the YJ has a AX15 (if manual) and is a far better transmission than the AX5 in that TJ

Now this is true, though... Except the 2.5L YJ will have the AX5.

i'd go YJ ... (my own bias...) the TJ's are nicer suspension-wise but i like the relative "simplicity" of the YJ = no air bags, no antilock brakes, no "car-like" dash... less things to go wrong or get in the way of mods in my opinion... ultimately they're both jeeps... plus the YJ is late in the production run - not many bugs there... the TJ is kinda early in its run... like i said... its your choice - but i'd go YJ - on my 2nd now and looking for a newer one now....

My thoughts exactly.

The YJ is KISS simple when it comes to modifications, the TJ a little more involved and a lot more expensive on mods. The TJ will generally ride smoother offroad than the chuckwagon springs in the YJ.

The TJ's interior is more car-like, the lost a lot of the ruggedness of the YJ, so it's personal preference there.

That's not necessarily true; both the 4.0L and the 2.5L will last about the same if taken care of the same way. Transmissions might be a different stories, but the 2.5L is a durable engine... Go to www.4bangerjp.com and you will find many of us running 100K+ miles with still strong engines.

Now this is true, though... Except the 2.5L YJ will have the AX5.

My thoughts exactly.

Man, you believe everything you read on the internet..
of course a website that is dedicated to 4 cyl will be biased about them.. I am sure if I went to a mustang website they will all say that a 5.0 is the best motor ever...

Yes, while a good portion of the 2.5's will reach 100K miles, I highly doubt they will go much past that.. I have owned many jeeps Cj's and YJ's all with 4cyl 6cyl and V8's..both my YJ's that were Daily Drivers had 4.0, my first was a total loss due to another issue, but had 240K on the original drivetrain, and while you might think that to be unheard of, my current YJ has just under 200K right now, original drive train again..

and about the transmission's in the begining of the post, I mentioned assuming it had the 6cyl... but you are 100% correct, it does have a ax5 if it is the oringial 5spd

The 2.5 is a reliable motor and, under similar care and use, can last as long as a 4.0L. But I'm biased, running a 2.5 now and have owned 4.0 and v8 jeeps.

The AX5 is not any more problematic than the AX15, both are often plagued with bad synchronizers due to ChryCo recommending the wrong fluid.

My first wrangler was a 90 yj, 4 cyl. 5 spd., turned over 200k on the clock on the way home from picking it up. I drove it for about a year and then sold it to a friend, she still drives it daily and it has around 230k on it now, I will admit it burns quite a bit of oil but it runs great. My second wrangler is a 97 tj 4 cyl., 5 spd. It had around 160k when I got it, ran great but it sounded like a diesel, timing chain was slapping the cover, changed the chain and now it's quiet. I have done a few mods, and have a few more in store to gain a little horse power, but overall I have been happy with my 4 cyls. I do like the added power of the 6 cyl., I also have an 88 xj wag. that I offroad only but personally I don't think the 4 cyl. is that bad. If you want to talk about longevity though I think most of the time that has more to do with the owner/driver then it does the motor itself. While sometimes something just plain wears out and breaks, I feel that with proper maintenance and if you don't drive like and idiot you can get high mileage out of just about any motor.

I've got a 99 TJ with the 4.0 and auto and now have 158,500 on the clock. Vlad, funny you mentioned sounding like a diesel, because mine is the same way. I think it's just piston ring wear though because once it warms up and the pistons expand, she quitens down. Still runs great and shifts smooth to where you can't even feel the gear change. Years ago, I had an 88 Toyota running 33's with the 22-RE 4 banger and it ran great. Little tuff on hills at highway speeds, but never had a problem. I really love the extra Umph of the 4.0 and the updated stylings of the TJ's. That's just my personal perference. But heck, I LOVE all Jeeps, I would take any one I could get my hands on. :)

Man, you believe everything you read on the internet..
of course a website that is dedicated to 4 cyl will be biased about them.. I am sure if I went to a mustang website they will all say that a 5.0 is the best motor ever...

Yes, while a good portion of the 2.5's will reach 100K miles, I highly doubt they will go much past that.. I have owned many jeeps Cj's and YJ's all with 4cyl 6cyl and V8's..both my YJ's that were Daily Drivers had 4.0, my first was a total loss due to another issue, but had 240K on the original drivetrain, and while you might think that to be unheard of, my current YJ has just under 200K right now, original drive train again..

and about the transmission's in the begining of the post, I mentioned assuming it had the 6cyl... but you are 100% correct, it does have a ax5 if it is the oringial 5spd

Dude, my 4-banger is nearing 140K miles and going on strong; I am sure Bounty's is similar. And having a 4-banger and keping in contact (through sites) with lots of other 4-banger owners, I have heard of very few 2.5's dying before their time, so I completely disagree with someone saying that the 2.5 is not a reliable engine. Underpower, yes (and not for offroading, but rather on the highway), but not unreliable...

My first wrangler was a 90 yj, 4 cyl. 5 spd., turned over 200k on the clock on the way home from picking it up. I drove it for about a year and then sold it to a friend, she still drives it daily and it has around 230k on it now, I will admit it burns quite a bit of oil but it runs great. My second wrangler is a 97 tj 4 cyl., 5 spd. It had around 160k when I got it, ran great but it sounded like a diesel, timing chain was slapping the cover, changed the chain and now it's quiet. I have done a few mods, and have a few more in store to gain a little horse power, but overall I have been happy with my 4 cyls. I do like the added power of the 6 cyl., I also have an 88 xj wag. that I offroad only but personally I don't think the 4 cyl. is that bad. If you want to talk about longevity though I think most of the time that has more to do with the owner/driver then it does the motor itself. While sometimes something just plain wears out and breaks, I feel that with proper maintenance and if you don't drive like and idiot you can get high mileage out of just about any motor.

The only time I wish I had the I6 is on the highway... That is where the you miss the power the most on the 4-banger, but overall, if geared propperly, it's a very nice engine.

"KISS" = "Keep It Simple Stupid" - and no one can debate that the YJ has that hands down... less creature comforts but if youre looking for somethin rugged that you can work on yourself there really isnt much debate there...
to get back on track... i thought this was a TJ -vs- YJ thread - not a 4 vs 6 debate.... he's trying to choose the jeep not the motor... (and i'm still pulling for the YJ.... ) .... more square eyes crying in the rain... sorry... had to say it...

Back