YJ shackles

Ragtopman

I'm getting ready to install my 3" lift and have a shackle issue. When I bought the jeep it had a 2" shackle lift on it. I don't like the long shackles so I bought a 3" lift kit. Now I need new shackles.

1. Should I get a stock set. They go cheap on ebay or

2. Should I get and after market set with maybe a 1" lift

Also are front and rear stock shackles the same on the YJ

~Art

You should get a stock length set if the new springs don't have a big fat military-style (double) wrap at the eyes. If it does have the military wrap, you should get shackles at least 1" longer than stock so they don't hit the rear crossmember, and no more than 2" longer than stock because of the reasons you want to get rid of the monster sized ones.

Here's a pic of a BDS spring with the large wrap and 1" longer than stock [correction](5" total - 1/2" lift) shackle:
RearShackleJPG-1.jpg

If you decide to go with stock length shackles, don't get the factory ones. They are very weak and flimsy and have been known to break and twist when off road at extreme articulation. At least get or make something stronger.

you can very well go with 1 inch... you can have some made if you want... any machine shop will be happy to take 30 bucks for some custom shackles

They are the same front and rear from the factory.

Get boomerang shackles for the rear if you have the chance, keeps the shackle from hitting the rear crossmember under compression.

Stock YJ shackles have been plenty strong in my experience, so either way.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Stock YJ shackles have been plenty strong in my experience, so either way.
Snitty said:
i've never seen stock shackles going wrong

I beat they heck out of mine and even busted a stock spring eye@ the front frame mount and never had a problem with the stock shackles.

Again I say if the springs don't have a military wrap, get a stock set or at least a set that's stock length ([corrected]4" between holes).

if you are getting new shackles... i would go with a half inch lift shackle... the only difference you'll notice is the half inch when you measure your clearance

TwistedCopper said:
I thought it was uncorrectable ?
It basically is, unless you want to use degree shims or have your kncukles cut and rewelded :roll:

you can go with an inch and be fine... most don't notice any difference... and degree shims are easy to put in

I bent and snapped my stock shackle. Two of the guys in the club I go 4wheelin with have broken theirs as well. Mabye it has to do with how tight they're bolted on. Too tight and they won't be able to move as freely possibly causing them to bend. When I took off my stock shackles, they were very thin and flimsy. Might also have to do with the kind of off roading you do. These guys are all into rock crawling and very little mud and trail running.

Back