YJ tub on a CJ Frame

CJaredo7

Hey everyone, first off...I'm a newbie here. New to this board that is. I'm restoring my 82 CJ-7, and gonna put a YJ tub on it. My question is, the place where the defroster ducts come up...on the YJ that doesn't have holes cut, so I have to do 1 of 2 things here...

1. cut holes that match the holes in the CJ-7 windshield and then fab some kind of shim that makes it air tight.

2. cut the whole section of the lower windshield cowl off of the old tub and cut the same section out of the new tub, then weld in the old section onto the new tub.

I'm thinking seriously about doing number 1, but don't know for sure if that's a good idea, because that would limit a little bit of the airflow from what I can see.

Any suggestions on this? who else has done this?

I know I have some frame mount issues, and I also know about the fuel filler, and those are no biggie..my biggest concern is the defroster duct issue. So I'm just looking for something from someone who's done this hopefully. :) thanks for a great messageboard, I plan on being here quite a bit during my build-up process!
[addsig]

isn't the YJ tub WIDER than the CJ tub? so won't the tires be stuck WAY IN?.............. sounds like a fun project you have going there...[addsig]

Actually, they're exactly the same dimensions...from all that I've read, and all i've been told... the YJ looks wider, but that's probably because the axles are a little wider than the CJ. But my CJ is a widetrack so it might look just the same. [addsig]

isn't the YJ tub WIDER than the CJ tub? so won't the tires be stuck WAY IN?.............. sounds like a fun project you have going there...
yj tubs are put on cj frames all the time[addsig]

Back