1979 jeep cj question

snowdog

could someone tell me how big of tires i can fit on a stock 1979 cj with a straight six and a 3 inch body lift?

The tire size depends on how much your springs have settled. Bite the bullet and get a suspension lift instead of body lift, then you will know for sure what will fit. I would say you will max out at 32's with the body lift. No ill effects from the t-case unless you go beyond 6" or so. At that point the driveshaft angle will be severe.
CJ's look good with a 4" suspension lift and 33's.

Welcome to Jeepz. I'd think you could fit 33" tires with that setup.

You're considering a suspension lift? You shouldn't go any higher with a body lift, and I'd consider reducing that if you get the chance.

Check your axle gear ratio, it'll determine how much performance you will lose by installing larger tires.

shorted out my jeep!! HELP!

anyone want a gmail account? post your email and ill give ya one
i have like 90 left to give away

I have a 79 CJ-7 with a 258 and quadratrac as well. I just put a 2.5" suspension lift on, but I still have the stocker tires. I have 3.54 gears, and from what I have read, that was the most common for that year. I would assume with the same drivetrain setup, you should be the same.

RE: WOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm running 32" tires with 3.31 gears and a strait six. It is definately driveable, and is OK offroad, but does leave me wanting lower gears so that i have a slower crawl speed...my cj definately is not a rock crawler. As for the tires rubbing, I believe 31's fit stock...with 3" of suspension lift you could fit 33's; the spring sag of the stock springs might lower that to 32" should you get a body lift. Will you consider a suspension lift instead of the body lift? It will be worth the extra money.

RE: it was gon smooth...

i found out that it has an add a leaf in it with 33s on it now as fo the question about gmail post your email and ill invite you to get a 1 gigabyte gmail account u can send up to ten meg files with it

Back