1985 Jeep CJ7 Transmition Problems

baile65982

My 1985 Jeep CJ7 clanks when runs. It clanks a little bit when it is idling, and the higher the revs the faster and louder the clanking. Actually, it might be the higher the speed the faster and louder the clanking. I talked to a mechanic and he said that there is no way to tell what is actually wrong and whether I really need to replace the transmition unless it is opened up which will cost a couple hundred bucks. I need help! I dont know what to do. I'm looking for the cheapest but still reliable way to get my baby back in the running. When I say cheapest I really mean cheap. We haven't payed to get it seriously looked at because we don't want to spend a hundred bucks to open it up and find out we have to spend more. I know very, very little about cars, unfortunately, and have very few tools. If anyone out there knows what to do please email me at KCCHEIFS@aol.com about it. Thanks!
image-missing.png

[addsig]

If it's a manual, it's not hard to open it up, and all you need is a socket set, and some make your own gasket stuff to put it back.

You could just open it up, and look around to see if you can see the problem, should only take one or two hours.

Terry
[addsig]

Back