1988 Laredo

grizzlybear310

Hey all, I'm back and I guess I'm hooked on these Jeep things.
Just bought a 1988 Cherokee Laredo today with 104,000 on the clock.
Power everything and it all works.
Couple quick questions about it.
I had it running and went to take the oil fill cap off the valve cover to check for blow-by and noticed it sucking on the cap when I removed it.
Is this normal for the 4.0's?

Also, what is this thing inside between the sun visors that has a green lens on it and some wires hooked to the back of it?
It slides back in a hole there.
Thanks.
Lester

Can't answer the blowby problem, but the lens on the top above the mirror is for the factory remote unlock. The remotes are expensive (dealer wants 170 when I called a week ago) and I have not been able to find one on ebay. There is a website that charges $76.50 for it (and programmed I think). Here is the website http://www.thejeep.com/piland.html Good luck. Kellen

Cool, another 1988 XJ to add to the many on this board! :mrgreen:

As for the blow-by, I'd take off ALL the vacuum lines, one at a time, and clean or replace them. You should be fine after that.

For the sensor thing, I don't have one of those, but then again I have manual locks. It is news to me that 88 XJs ever came with remote locks... maybe this was added by the previous owner?

Good luck with the new Jeep :mrgreen:
-Nick :!:

Yeah, my 89 has it, just need the remote. AFAIK they are factory. Just checked ebay today and there is one that should work on your 88. It is from a 90 and is only a single button (only unlocks doors). Supposedly the remotes are rare so if you want one original, then this would be a good chance. Guy wants $50 if you buy it now.

Have fun with your 88.

You should have a vacuum inside the valve cover for the PCV system. It recirculates fuel vapors so that they are burned.

Well used my 1988 on my daily run yesterday and it ran great. Not as peppy as the '96 but ran good.
A little low on the heat output but have a new thermostat for that. One with the purge hole from the dealer. Will put it in tomorrow.
Only other thing I have noticed is when I first start it up, it will puff some smoke and also after coming down a hill where it has to hold it self back, when I give it the gas again, some more smoke.
Not a lot, but you can see it. Guess it's time for some valve guide seals.
Maybe with only 104,000 on the clock, has not been drove a lot and maybe they have become dried and brittle.
Lester
P.S. That thing is a factory keyless entry.
Dealer told me. First year for them. Cool.

Sea Foam...

Just an update. Well there was no oil in air box and air filter neither
Am in process of trying to get the valve cover off.
Man that rear bolt is a pain.
Also, what's this stuff about burping the air out of the cooling system?
It has the closed system on it.

Well got the valve cover off and man what a mess.
Looks like it has never had a oil change.
Lots of crude on the top of the head and in valve cover.
Also, some dummy had put a solid rubber plug in the front breather that goes over to the air box.
That did not help matters any for sure.
I don't want to remove this head, so how is the best way to get this crude cleaned off?
Just scrape it and pick it out of there?
Any ideas?
Lester

use brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Coolant needs burping because air pockets can get in there. Have read to point car downhill and let the car run it out, while replacing with coolant when if it gets low. I just replaced my heater valve and lost about 1/2 gallon and just filled it up via the coolant bottle and didnt experience any problems (didn't have to burp). Are you replacing the gasket on the valve cover? Did you find a remote yet? Good luck

Need details on project

KellenNold said:
use brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Coolant needs burping because air pockets can get in there. Have read to point car downhill and let the car run it out, while replacing with coolant when if it gets low. I just replaced my heater valve and lost about 1/2 gallon and just filled it up via the coolant bottle and didnt experience any problems (didn't have to burp). Are you replacing the gasket on the valve cover? Did you find a remote yet? Good luck
Does it matter if I have the thermostat with the purge hole in it?
Yes, I am replacing the valve cover gasket once I get the inside of the head cleaned.
Also have to find something to go in the front breather hole in the valve cover.
Nope, no remote.

grizzlybear310 said:
Does it matter if I have the thermostat with the purge hole in it?
Also have to find something to go in the front breather hole in the valve cover.
Nope, no remote.

Yes. It is best to have the original type thermostat.

The Dealer sells the appropiate hose to fit the front hole on the valve cover (not too expensive).

-Nick :!:

By the way, the 88's had the remote unlock stock on a very few of them, my brother used to own one with the remote lock option, but then it got totalled by an idiot in a Dodge Durango....oh how i miss that jeep, it was nice. Do you wanna trade seats out of my 95 for the leather ones in your 88? ;) those things are great too

Back