1990 258 4.2 waterpump confusion

divemaster73

I just bought a 1990 jeep wrangler sahara ,dont know much about the motor but just replaced water pump n my pulley dont match its off by 3/4" (needs to go back toward motor) kicks the serpentine off ,i had a friend change it for me while i was at work n wonder if he stole my-original pulley ???.,im lost ive ordered 5water pumps n all are the same hub height are pulleys interchangable? Thanks!!

Wrong pump? Is the pulley center mounting offset from the center of the pulley? If so you may have it flipped around.

A picture is worth a thousand words. My thoughts are the same as JP, the pulley may be on backwards.

No no no im not retarted everything lines up nothins backwards im just confused somebody changed my water pump for me while i was at work (i think the dood swapped my pullley n i need help) i need to know what pullies will work with a 1990 water pump ,......i know nothing of this motor cuz i bout it from a used car dealer ,...the water pump went-out after 4months of havin it - n then magically my pulley is wrong ive been ripped off n cant prove it

According to my measurements my pulley needs to go back 3/4" toward the motor ,.....im lost

649099d1374587797258crankcasevacuumfitti-1.jpg
There are two pumps available one v-belt one serpentine. This is likely the issue. You need to replace the pump. Because one is clockwise driven and the other is CCW to pump.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gmb-110-1070/overview/year/1990/make/jeep/model/wrangler

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gmb-110-1060/overview/year/1990/make/jeep/model/wrangler

Last edited:

Yep, Jeep switched from v-belt to serpentine around those years, good chance you have the wrong pump.

Hold on guys i appreciate ur feedback ive been on serious overtime. I will get back tomorrow nite with pics im sorry to leave u all hangin

Mines al serpentine "one belt " but for some odd reason my pulley sticks out 3/4 of an inch ill post pic tomorrow for sure

I just bought a 1990 jeep wrangler sahara ,dont know much about the motor but just replaced water pump n my pulley dont match its off by 3/4" (needs to go back toward motor) kicks the serpentine off ,i had a friend change it for me while i was at work n wonder if he stole my-original pulley ???.,im lost ive ordered 5water pumps n all are the same hub height are pulleys interchangable? Thanks!!

I just caught this. You ordered 5 water pumps? Why five water pumps? Did they fail or not fix an issue?

I just caught this. You ordered 5 water pumps? Why five water pumps? Did they fail or not fix an issue?

No figured maybeeee just maybeeee id try different auto parts stores after i got same size from first auto parts store figured id shop around ,...that maybeeeee first auto parts didnt know what they was doin , lol im lost so i went to 4other parts stores n got same freakin size im like wtf ???200.00 later ,...wil post pics i just got home

Nevermind guys i figured it out,...this is weird ,stamp code says 1990 258 june 20,...but i decided to just try a 91 4.0 waterpump (cuz it looked smaller) and it fits .....thats weird how does that work?

tell them you need one for a jeep with ac. my 87 had ac and had a different pump then the non ac model

There is a direction the pump has to spin to pump. Be sure your belt is spinning the pump in the correct direction. Spin it the wrong way and you'll overheat.

The crossover years like the 1990 May have 3 or more pumps for that year. Some are CW and some CCW.

Nevermind guys i figured it out,...this is weird ,stamp code says 1990 258 june 20,...but i decided to just try a 91 4.0 waterpump (cuz it looked smaller) and it fits .....thats weird how does that work?

Look at the links I posted and the details.

Back