1996 xj problems

downtown flow

ok no one can tell me what is wrong with this i get in it start it up its fine i drive it for 20 minutes or more and shut it off. come out more than 10 to a hour later starts up fine i wait 5 seconds and it will bog out so bad if i drive it with out the rpms redlining it will stall out so to fix it i pour a liter of water over the intake manifold and fuel rail give it a minute and it starts up and goes perfect another thing is it overheats going up the mountain i live on if i have the rpms high new thermostat in it still does it and now it has no acceleration what so ever i can do 0-25 in 6 seconds if im lucky when floored please tell me what is wrong my mechanics cant figure it out

Welcome to the Z.

Have you had any trouble codes pulled with a scanner connected to the OBD II port?

Could be a plugged catalytic converter, heat soaked injectors, bad CPS or CPS connector, etc.

Wow, I'm having a similar problem on my '96 XJ, but hadn't really looked into it too deeply. It isn't as severe though. Actually just found these forums while looking for info on changing the PS pump (which I found), and this thread caught my attention.

Here's what's happening to me:

Cold start - Operates normally

Start after turning off and leaving it off for a few minutes (probably anything under an hour) - Engine idles rough and bucks/stutters til you get to about 20mph then smooths out and is fine after that until you turn it off again.

Start after letting it sit for an hour or two - Operates normally

No check light or any other warning lights come on. Temp and oil gauges stay within normal ranges.

Could there be trouble codes without tripping the warning light?

Wow, I'm having a similar problem on my '96 XJ, but hadn't really looked into it too deeply. It isn't as severe though. Actually just found these forums while looking for info on changing the PS pump (which I found), and this thread caught my attention.

Here's what's happening to me:

Cold start - Operates normally

Start after turning off and leaving it off for a few minutes (probably anything under an hour) - Engine idles rough and bucks/stutters til you get to about 20mph then smooths out and is fine after that until you turn it off again.

Start after letting it sit for an hour or two - Operates normally

No check light or any other warning lights come on. Temp and oil gauges stay within normal ranges.

Could there be trouble codes without tripping the warning light?

Welcome to Jeepz. No, the SES will illuminate when there's a DTC in any of the modules. Some DTC's takes 3 starts to mature and then turn on the SES lamp and log the DTC in the respective module. Some only takes one failure to log a DTC on a module, mostly a driveability issue.

ok no one can tell me what is wrong with this i get in it start it up its fine i drive it for 20 minutes or more and shut it off. come out more than 10 to a hour later starts up fine i wait 5 seconds and it will bog out so bad if i drive it with out the rpms redlining it will stall out so to fix it i pour a liter of water over the intake manifold and fuel rail give it a minute and it starts up and goes perfect another thing is it overheats going up the mountain i live on if i have the rpms high new thermostat in it still does it and now it has no acceleration what so ever i can do 0-25 in 6 seconds if im lucky when floored please tell me what is wrong my mechanics cant figure it out

X2 with Bounty_Hunter..If it is a plugged catalytic converter, take it to a Dealer and have them check it for Recall E-22. The Dealer is required to check the catalytic converter and IF it does requires replacement, the PCM has to be re-programmed cause the software in the original PCM is un-able to detect the deteriorating catalytic converter.

I want to apologise to the original poster, after re-reading the original post, the problems aren't very similar. I'm at work and got interrupted while reading it and mis-read.

Didn't mean to thread-jack ya like that.

well the cat might be plugged including i ripped my exhuast off twice but thanks now i just need to find out why it has no acceleration

i cleaned out the cat the check engine light is always on i got a computer hooked up to it awhile ago said plugs and wires

Back