2.5 Engine swap

AlabamaWrangler

I have a '01 Wrangler with a 2.5 in it. I was wanting to swap it out and was wondering which engine would be best and/or least expensive. Also, I know the transmission in there is a light duty one so I would need to get a new one as well, any ideas on that? What all needs to be done? What is a good site to get a conversion kit for the transmission to engine if they are not from the same vehicle?

Last edited:
To keep the swap as cheap aspossible buy a doner vehical, pull what you want out of it and resell the parts you dont use or pull out of your Jeep. Novak has a great database on the swaps, what fits with what, etc etc. Remember we always want pics! And keep us posted on your progress.

Bacon

Any GM smallblock V8 is a good option for a Jeep engine swap. Good automatic transmissions to pair with a GM smallblock are the TH350, TH400, 700R4, and if you get a modern smallblock with fuel injection, the 4L6E. I recommend the 4L6E, it's a slightly stronger electronically-controlled version of the 700R4. If you want to go manual, use an AX-15 with some upgrades and an adapter.

Swapping to a six-cylinder is usually not worth the time, trouble, and money you will spend, unless you're going to a really powerful V6. There is no substitute for CID (that's cubic inches.) Any engine swap will be expensive and final cost will probably be in the thousands no matter what engine you choose.

Back