2" body lift questions

Jeepster05

I'm thinking of doing a 2 inch body lift to my 90 YJ manual transmission. Doing a bl requires no driveline modification right?? Does this mess up the length of the shifter? Is there a noticable gap between t he body and my tube side steps??? I'm looking to clear some 35s in the near future so I'm trying to squeeze in a few more inches. (I currently have a 3.5 in susp. lift with 33s). Any info would be appreciated.

Do a one inch and TJ flares. But if you must, a two inch isnt bad. The shifter will be a little shorter and will contact the sheetmetal in 2nd, 4th and reverse, requiring some trimming to be done. The radiator will also have to be dropped down. Thats about all I can think of. A one inch is hardly noticeable, a two inch isnt bad, a three is horendous.

you will notice a 2 inch gap in your steps, bumpers, and any body/frame contact... the shifter will drop 2 inches, you MAY have to extend fuel fill lines, and the fan shraud will have to be dropped or cut to allow for clearance

Wow, is the body lift that much of a pain. I guess I will have to think about my lift a bit more. Anything else that is needed or affected when installin a body lift kit? I was thinking of a 3" er, but I am worried about messing something up. In that case I should just save up for a 600 suspension kit.-al

K_K,

You nailed it. Just save your money and get a suspension lift. You'll thank yourself in the end. I promise.

C

I personaly would not go over an inch in body lift and then only out of need after a suspension lift to clear tires of choice. tug

Basicly anything that goes attatches to the body or firewall then to anything else may need to be lengthened. I would highly recomend not doing a body lift. I can not stand the one on my Blazer. It changed a bunch of stuff for the worse. I the problem was that a lift for it costs $1400 so I will live with the body but suspension lift for a jeep is well worth the money.

Well i've already got a suspension lift. I'm trying to get a few more inches to clear 35s and SOA is outa the question since I can't afford new driveshafts. I'm going to do either a 1 or 2 inch bl and a 1 inch shackle lift. and hopefully i can clear em.

Not sure if its the same for yj's but on my tj 2 inch BL, there is a bracket to extend the 4wd shifter linkage located on the side of the transmission. Not to mention, gas tank hose extension, and radiator drop. It was not extreemly comlicated, it just took longer than expected.

Would I barely be able to clear 35s with 6.5 inches??? If i cant I'll just have a flexin beast with 33s. haha

whats the biggest tires i can put on my factory suspention

Okay, I hate to ask these questions, especially because I know they have been asked 1000 times before, but when you purchase a lift kit (suspension), does it come with everything you need, or do I have to buy a bunch of extra stuff. What is biggest sus. lift I can put in my YJ without have to buy a bunch of other stuff. I am looking for the safest , most economical way to lift my Jeep. -al

3.5" suspension, 1" body lift, and TJ flares should clear your 35" tires. I clear 32" tires with 2" less suspension lift and the same setup. The 35" tires will only be 1" closer to the wheel wells than the 33" tires. This will keep you from having to do $$ driveshaft and SYE mods.

There is no transfer case shifter bracket to modify on a YJ, only TJ's.

I put a 3in. BL on my YJ and havent had any problems at all. I cut my nerf bar brackets and re-welded them higher to cover the gap. Bulit front and rear bumpers to cover the gaps there and it looks fine. I know alot of folks here frown at 3in. but they wouldn't make and sell them if they wern't to be used. You just have to do what you need to do to get the clearance.

K_K_PSI_GUY said:
Okay, I hate to ask these questions, especially because I know they have been asked 1000 times before, but when you purchase a lift kit (suspension), does it come with everything you need, or do I have to buy a bunch of extra stuff. What is biggest sus. lift I can put in my YJ without have to buy a bunch of other stuff. I am looking for the safest , most economical way to lift my Jeep. -al

If you don't want to get into modifying your driveshaft, I would stay with a 3 1/2" to 4" suspension lift. 4" seems to be the threshold at which a SYE becomes recommended by manufacturers. If you buy a kit with military wrapped springs, stay under 4" so you can get taller shackles (1-1 1/2" taller than stock) to clear them. (a 3 1/2" lift and 1" taller than stock shackles = 4" total lift) These kits should come with a transfer case drop kit and that should be all you need.

3.5" suspension, 1" body lift, and TJ flares should clear your 35" tires
I'm planning on doing some fender trimming and leaving the flares off. How do TJ flares help clear big tires so well?? If I go with 1" bl on top of my 3.5 I don't think it would clear 35s so well. When my 33s were newer they rubbed a little so I'm thinkin I would need at least another 3 inches (2" bl 1" shackle). with 4.5 inches of suspension lift will my driveshaft work? I've seen it done but with vibration. It is a daily driver by I'm lookin to really improve it's off road capability.

Radiator heads-up

3.5" that you have now coupled with a 1" body lift will clear 33" flares. Cut out the fenders and leave flares off or install TJ flares will allow 35" tires to fit. Remember that the tires are only 1" difference in radius, 2" larger in diameter. This means they will be only 1" closer to your fenders.

You still cut the fenders for TJ flares, it's just wether or not you want flares.

when you get talking tires larger than 33".. not only are you dealing with the height of the tire, but on compression, you are dealing with stuffing them in the diameter of the well... this is when fender trimming really starts to look more considerable

Back