2" body lift

monsterrd

sorry about your loss

many people have told me that a 2" body lift is a bit extreme, I don't know ,any comments?

It's all a matter of opinion, cuz I think 3" is extreme. 2" isn't bad IMO, they all look different with more or less of the frame exposed. 2" is a little more stress on the bodymounts and bolts, but you don't see anybody having much trouble with them. Just want to check the bolts periodically, and make sure the body is solid where the puck mounts.

I use 1" BL and TJ flares for more tire clearance, and the 1.5" add-a-leaf. All-told, I can run 32" tires on the YJ for about $125 to $150 to clear them.

nothing wrong with 2"... I would personally not do that much on mine... 1.5 is the most i'd do.... but i'm doing a 2" on a friend's jeep, but anything over that is over the line

I had a 3" on one of my older jeeps a few years back, I never encounter any problems with my body mounts but I did'nt really like the gap between my body and frame, my last jeep and current jeep have 1" body lifts, they are perfect if your just looking for that last litle bit of clearance, don't notice a gap between frame and body or the bumpers and you don't run into problems with the t-case shifter.

First Stuck!!!!!

A 2" is just right if you ask me ....:)

I went with 1 inch - less modifications (clutch linkage, steering shaft, gas-tank hose). In any case, it allows a bit more tire clearance. Personally, I wouldn't go any higher - but it's your rig, but the higher your go, the more you'll need to lengthen things

ching ching....grabs the soap box and drags it over. Ok I paid my two cents...stepping on the soap box.
If we really look at what we are doing here the only reason you should be lift your Jeep is for bigger tires. the best way is always with a suspention lift since your main concern here is with your loss of tilt angle. A body lift lowers yout tilt angle faster than a suspention lift since your lifting the body off the frame and adding to the top weight. I was told that a 1 inch body lift reduces your tilt angle by 2.5 degrees. A 2 inch you loose 6.7 degrees and it gets better with a three....dont ask I forgot.
Tilt angle comes into play not only for rock crawlers it also has an effect on your street driving as well since you can no long turn corners at speed.
The best way is to save your money and lift it with your suspention and keep your tub close to your frame.
The old axem for lifting was 1/3 of the tire well over your tires or more.
I say just enough to clear your suspention travel.
Ok I will step down and let everyone yell at me for this post.

How do I add a picture

Utah said it there! A body lift is not the best way to go. I would personaly go shackles befor I did a BL. Shackles would not be an option unless I just had to get the tires to stop rubbing. Go suspention and be glad you did. If you feel you need a 2.5" lift to get where you are wanting to be go ahead and do a 3" or even a 4" cause it will be only a matter of time till you go a little bigger. Good luck and again do what ever you feel lead to do but the correct way is with a good suspention lift. tug

i would certainly go with a suspension lift.. but if you must go with a body lift.. its certainly not a bad thing... if done to slight amounts

On a TJ you do NOT want more than a 1 inch body lift. #1 it looks stupid. Not to mention the other problems, shifting in second or reverse.

you can still go 2" on a tj... there are ways to fill the gaps and to take care of the shifter

tugly

I've decided against the body lift, going to take me some time to save up for the suspension lift though, now thinking of add a leafs, my springs are brand new, two were broke when I got it. Add a leaf and new shocks, anything else I will need?

toss in an inch by shackles... its safe and it works well... and you can get some good beefy looking ones... helps with the bada$$ points

Too Much LIft?

I have put a 2" body lift on my 91 and now againg on my 95 YJ. Its a cheap alternative to a pricey suspension lift (depends where you go) - after installing the 2" - I almost wished I had just gone with a 1" and later with a suspension lift. There are ways to cover up the gaps and I have never had a problem with 2nd or reverse or the fuel filler hose. The lift is relatively easy to install - did it the 2nd time myself. Do what YOU want to do and can afford. Remember you have to drive it. Good luck.

that's right... its YOUR jeep... don't let us control what you do.. only influence.... if you want to go with a body lift, there is nothing wrong with going that route, but if you see it better suitable to lift the suspension, then by all means, go that way..

Back