2000 WJ axle identification and pinion bearing replacement

kkady

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee limited with Quadratrac drivetrain. I spun a pinion bearing in the front axle and need some advice.
  • First, which axle do I have? I have a shop manual, but do not know which axle is in the quadritrac. Which axle do I read up on to do this repair?
  • Do I need special tools to do this repair? Whats involved in it? Can anyone direct me to a link which explains this repair in laymans terms? the manual gets to be a bit confusing at times....
  • What can I expect to pay if I send out to get repaired? If I need special tools or if there are some critical steps involved, I may just send it out to someone who is familiar with it.
Much thanks for the input!!
Kevin

1 your axle is a lp dana 30
2 tools needed: big torque wrench over 200 foot pounds, and a inch pound wrench that shows the needle not a clicker type a press would be great to get the bearings on the pinion . and a good after noon to pull the axle shafts, carrier, then remove the pinion.. replace crush collar, seals etc and any shims.
3 expect to pay 200-400$ ...out of a 10 rating, this is probly a 6-7 if the torque is wrong it could cost you a new ring and pinion set up...

i helped to a rubi 44 last fall.... i'll try and do the wife's 4:10's in the wj...

hope this helps

The most critical part of the process is the setup. You can re-use the differential bearings if they are still okay. Make sure that when you remove the differential assembly from the casing, keep the shims on the same side when you reinstall them . When you replace the pinion bearing and race, i would advise that you have a spare crush sleeve just in case you go over the specified limit on your pinion torque to rotate specs. Having the correct backlash and PTTR and finally the gear pattern, the job is done.

None of my D30s had a crush sleeve, just shims. You might need a case spreader as well, makes the job a lot easier.

None of my D30s had a crush sleeve, just shims. You might need a case spreader as well, makes the job a lot easier.
Yes you are correct. My mistake, it's shims on the side bearings and pinion. Thank you for catching that.

Guys,
thanks for the input. I have the torque wrenches, but not a case spreader. Can I get by without it? Recommendations for picking up the parts? should I go to dealer, local parts supply, or buy off the internet? I assume buy a rebuild kit and replace everything I can. I see em for a bit over 100..
Lastly, anyone know of a link which goes thru the rebuild?
Again, much thanks for the help here. It looks like I can tackle it.
Kevin

Back