2003 Wrangler Rear Brakes

Brivera

Hello, I am new to this so please bare with me. My Jeep slides often when I stop on wet or loose ground. My hubby took off the tire and said the brake shoe has a large groove, is this normal?

Welcome to Jeepz. Groove where on the brake shoe?. I'm assuming that your reffering to the rear brakes with a drum brake system. If a piece of hard debris gets stuck on the shoe or a large enough metallic embedded on the shoe will cause a groove on the drum or disk surface. When you say 'Slide' on a wet or loose ground, that's a normal condition contingent on speed, how much pressure is applied on the brake pedal while stopping. Is this a lock up braking situation?

I did the brakes on a friends 02 wrangler and it had the same groove. Those must be the factory shoes and drums. yes it is somewhat normal, time for a brake job. I like Bendix brand brake components.

The groove is normal. My 05 has the same shoes (still original). When these shoes are slightly damp (like a humid day, heavy rain) and the Jeep is parked for a while (like over night or at work all day) they GRAB big time for the first couple of stops. Once they warm up a little they are fine. This is the rear only. So, yes, the rear wheels can lock up quite easily when the linings are damp. I get the most horrendous squeely sounds out of them when they grab. Sounds like metal on metal back there. They have done this since day one. Try warming them up with a couple of light, controlled stops and see if that helps. -John

The groove is normal. My 05 has the same shoes (still original). When these shoes are slightly damp (like a humid day, heavy rain) and the Jeep is parked for a while (like over night or at work all day) they GRAB big time for the first couple of stops. Once they warm up a little they are fine. This is the rear only. So, yes, the rear wheels can lock up quite easily when the linings are damp. I get the most horrendous squeely sounds out of them when they grab. Sounds like metal on metal back there. They have done this since day one. Try warming them up with a couple of light, controlled stops and see if that helps. -John
Thank you John..
I have a appt to have rear brakes replaced this Friday. I had the Jeep for 2 years so I think it may be time. As for the brakes locking up, I have driven it for at least 1/2 hour and I think its warmed by then and it still happens. What is the droove for, do you know? My husband is very mechanical and loves working on cars but never saw this before.
Thanks,
Barb

Chrysler products have had a ~1/2" wide groove in the original shows for years; DO NOT replace the brakes "just" because of that. I have a 1978 Plymouth Fury 2 door with 48K original miles on it; and still has the orig brakes out back.
and yes they are grooved. I THINK their idea was that once the groove "disappears" that is a wear indicator, that means that it's time to replace the shoes.
I changed out the fronts 2 years ago. this was the 1st time the wheel bearings had been repacked since they were originally packed on the assembly line.

Thank you for all the responses. I have a appt today and an going to ask the mechanic to change only if needed. I need to address the locking brakes thing, I am afraid that if I have to stop quickly someone is going to get injured. We have a Dodge Durango and it also has rear drums but does not do what my Wrangler is doing.

Ok took the Jeep to the shop. They did a overall brake inspection and the rear brakes dont seem to be working. The passenger side drum is seized and they cant get it off. I am taking the Jeep back to them on Monday and leaving it so they can have time to work on it. Right now they are thinking its the proportion valve but want to get that drum off first to make sure its not something there thats broken.
What do you guys think? Anyone ever been through this?
Thank you...Barb

So my Jeep is in the shop now..being told I need new rear brake cylinders. They are also going to replace the brakes. Cost is $504 which I am not happy about of course. They are telling me that the front calipers should be replaced but I am not authorizing that cause it would be another $560. He said the brakes may still lock up until I do that. My husband is saying that makes no sense..what do you think cause I am clueless and just want my car back.
Barb

I would check the front calipers by jacking up each wheel just a little off the ground and by having someone very lightly touch the brake pedal as you turn the wheel. The brake should lock with minimal effort on the pedal. I have seen calipers sieze up BUT usually the brake will drag (not release) after a stop. I have never seen a caliper get stuck so badly that the brake won't apply. There is just way too much force in there pushing it out. I really think the fronts are OK as long as the pads are not worn out or glazed over. I also think the rears might have been OK. Did they say the wheel cylinders were leaking? That would be the only reason to change them. A very LITTLE bit of brake fluid (or axle oil) on the shoes CAN cause the wheel to lock up when stopping. A good leak, though, will soak the shoes and show up as a star-like pattern on the inside of your tire. If the shoes were soaked with brake fluid they probably will not lock up (although in "mid-soak", as the leak got worse, they could do unpredictable things) . So... If there was no leak in the rear brake clyinders I don't think they should have changed them. The only exception would be if the Jeep was out of service for a while (couple of years) OR it has a lot of miles on it. Both of these situations can cause wheel cylinders to leak right after installing new shoes. This is because you end up pushing the piston cups over crud and rust in the cylinder and that will ruin them. One other thing... You said that the Jeep was warmed up and still had the problem. Sorry if I mis-led you... I meant the brakes need to be warmed up - not the Jeep (I make a few stops and the grabby problem goes away) . I have 104,000 miles on my rear brakes (with those same grooved shoes) and they are still OK. I check them every time I rotate the tires (this also keeps the drums from rusting in place) . At minimum I would go to a different place and have them check the front brakes before spending more $$$. As far as what the groove is for... I'm not completely sure. I've seen grooves, tapers, cross cuts and other things done to shoes and pads. They are usually for better wet-weather performance, brake dust and gas venting, or noise control. Some engineer must have thought we'd benefit from the grooves. Sorry for the long ramble... I must have had too much coffee... Best of luck - John

Back