2006 jeep wrangler x with 4.0 6 speed

2006 X

Ok I havea as listed above a 2006 jeep wrangler iam getting radommiss fires from computer codes but cant find the problem
also the exsaust sounds like the timming is retared but it still has plenty of pic up do the coilbars get weak or do they just die I have cheecked the o2 senorse injectors cam sonsors crak sensor cleaned the throttle body checked for vacujm leaks i have about 79000 miles any one know what is going on?/ :cry::???:

Welcome to Jeepz.com

What error codes are you getting?

Welcome to Jeepz.com

What error codes are you getting?
first sorry about the typos
well dont remember but I remember random misfire all cylinders , this all started to happen 2 weeks ago after driving some distance in heavy traffic then on the Fla TPK all the sudden it started breaking up bad and when I accelerated made some bad rattling or knocking sounds. I checked the compression and one time it read 190 all but one cylnder one read 120 lbs I checked that again in a couple of days and found all of them to be at 190 so didnt have the compression tester hooked up right the first time the problem gets worse after driving for some time or if you put on the ac the check engine light comes on
Iam hoping it isnt the timming chain starting to go. I know this much on a inline 6 like a Jeep if they go ,while running any kind of rpm it will blow the engine I have seen where the cam shaft broke and that distroys the block by breaking the the cam bearing mouldings in the block .the misfire isnt hard but you can see it Iam wondring if the knock sensor is reacting to the play in the drive train,
dummy dealer put a kit on it 12.5 33 tires with 307 gears well that did the rear axel in and the transfer case.
Iam just lost right now saddly I cant afford a 150 dollar dealer look at it fee
I know you asked one question an gave you a story any ideas??

and thanks for asking Terry
Bob

Last edited:
Position your #1 piston at top dead center and see where the timing mark on the crank is pointing at. This might give you a better idea if the timing chain is playing a part on this isuue. IMO, if it is a timing chain issue, this would be evident all the time. Fuel or fire is the first thought that comes into my mind when the symptom only occurs after driving it for a while. The possibilities could be; fuel pump failing after running for awhile, coil packs are failing due to heat, injectors failing or an electrical system heating up due to corrosion and breaking apart. More symptoms would help narrow it down if you could let us know what they are.

well seems the mark isnt visable I can see a white mark on the harmonic balencer and a grove in an other position but i cannot see any marking on the block or timing chain cover at leats i can i dentify ,
I think you are right about something failing when hot see that alot in electronics ( thermal intermits)
as i said the exsaut sound is deeper and a bit louder than before almost sounds like the timing is retarded, reminds me of the sound a corvair made
is there a way to test the coil bar?/ for weakness are they a go no go item or do they fail by getting weaker and weaker
by the way iam in Ft.lauderdale

Back