258 to 304 swap

tdayley

I have an 84 cj-7 with a 258 and a 999 trany. I also have a 304 out of a 77. I know that the 80-81 cj's had the 304 with the 999 trany and was wonder what kind of problems I would run into if I tried to put this engine into my jeep or will they just match up?

Thanks in advance!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Should be a bolt up transmission/ bellhousing wise. You will have to be careful about the flex plate being that the V-8's are externally balance with the flywheel/ Harm-balancer. Other than that be weary of the motor mounts. Supposedly you can use the driver side mount, but not the passenger side. Would have to at least buy the passenger side V-8 mount. The driver side should be the same mount for V-8/I-6. (I personally bought the mounts from M.O.R.E. Pricey they are, but they are very nice.

I did do the I-6 to 360 swap with the T-18. The only trouble I ran into was with my manual flywheel. Got one of the 11 inch for an actual 360 that caused some major problems for the clutch. Eventually had a 10.5 inch from I believe a 304 swapped in. (The later I did not actually do, but the rest of the work was done by me.)

Hope it helps,

Dave[addsig]

Thanks for the info on the flexplate, and I will make sure that I buy some new motor mounts.[addsig]

Back