30"s vs 31's+lift

Greencuke

im rolling 27" BFGs and i want to go bigger. This is my train of thought: the stock Yj will hold up to 30"s, which is one option. The other im considering is to get 31"s anda 1" lift (body or maybe shackle). The price difference between the two tire sizes isn't that signifigant, but the cost on the lift, and labor if its a bigger job than i think it is, would be. The question i have is that is the 1" difference between the tires worth the $$ and b.s. of the lift?[addsig]

I have read bad things here on this board about the use shackles. My way of seeing this is if the bushings on your body are getting worn down a bit and you would like the upgrade there it would be a good option to go with a good quality body lift. I plan to go with a 2.5" Rubicon Express lift in the spring plus a 1" body lift. More expensive Yes! but if you do one thing just to upgrade again later you are not saveing anything. As for 30 vs 31 an inch of tire is 1/2" of clearence. So is the extra effort worth 1/2" lift on clearence. Tug[addsig]

Had 31's on my YJ before making the change to 33's w/ lift. They fit ok, with a little rubbing on the fender flares. A small shackle lift took care of that though. Now I'm learning the fun that accompanies the lift. It never stops after you start modify it. It seems like there is always something else...[addsig]

I just put a set of BFG Mud terrains on my 95. The sidewall says they're 235/75 but they're about an inch and a half taller then my old all terrains. I had to change the rims to keep them out of the leafs while turning. They rub on the flares at full flex (pretty hard) This weekend I'll be putting on a Daystar 1" body lift. I'll let you know how it went.[addsig]

I don't mean to rag on anyone's Jeep or piss anyone off but if you have a jeep and want to get bigger tires that really look good why not get something that really looks different like 33/12.50's? You don't have to neccessarily put on a 9 inch lift with 40 inch boggers.....but why not get some beefy tires with an aggressive look? 31's and 30's look a little different than stock but it doesn't really seem like it would make a difference wheelin' wise....I mean I just have to laugh when I see someone rollin' on 31 inch super swampers. I realize everyone caters to their own taste and needs but I dunno......I guess in mind own case I don't want to go small than 35's when I finish lifting my Jeep, right now I have 32/11.50's. That's how I bought it and I love the way it looks....but definetly needs to be bigger. LIke I said... I respect anyone who has and Jeep and wants to be a part of the culture...so sorry if I offended anyone.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>I don't want to go small than 35's when I finish lifting my Jeep</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I feel that a Jeep should grow with the drivers ability and budget. I don't beleive that my Jeep needs a huge amount of lift. Thats why it has skid plates. In my case, all that was needed was a more aggressive tread. That alone has kept me from taking a tow strap many times. For someone who needs alot of ground clearance, I could see the desire for 35's. In my opinion, it boils down to what will serve you best both on and off road.[addsig]

my jeep is my daily driver, so 35"s just seem a tad unpractical to me for the driving to practice aspect of a car.... [addsig]

35's really won't make your Jeep unpractical for everyday use, I know quite a few that have 33's or 35's.....gas mileage isn't bad.....it may not be as good as smaller tires, but it's worth it[addsig]

33's are nice - they are obviously larger at first glance. 35's...my dream one day. 38's...my dream two days after I get the 35's. My dream between 33's and larger...winning lotto numbers. Until then, I'll be more than happy with a vehicle who's perfomance I know is legendary. ...and it makes me smile every time I look at it (outside of the shop...that is).
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back