4.3 exhaust issue??

jhoe_20

I have an 89 that i put a 4.3 with 700r4 and np231 all out of an s10. My problem is that my front driveshaft is going to go right through the brand new s10 y pipe. So do i need to run the exhaust over the top of the driveshaft or underneath. And how much clearance do i need?? It has a high pinion 44 up front out of a 77 ford and i was going to use the fords driveshaft. I hate to cut the exhaust up to make it duals i just spend 120 on that y pipe.

Do many people have these engines in theres... all i see is small blocks and the 4.3 seems like its the perfect engine for a jeep (light and powerful) mine is built up a little though. Its just hard to find anybody else with this combo

4.3L is my choice should I do another engine swap.

11" of lift, I can't see having any exhaust/driveshaft clearance issues. That being said, sounds like you need to have a different Y pipe built and/or possibly a manifold that exits in a different location.

well 3 inches of my lift is body lift, then i have 6" monoleaf springs and 2" lift shackles....thats how i came up with 11" but my y pipe hugs the bellhousing pretty tight. Its just right in line with where my driveshaft needs to be. Also i'm having a problem finding a floor shifter for the transmission unless i want to dump 200 in a lokar shifter. Does anybody else have a good idea on what to use? I'm thinking about a shifter out of an 89 camaro that i found on ebay for less than $50, i'm just not sure if it will work???

First.. Loose the body lift. Second, what are you running for exhaust manifolds/headers? I would suggest running some type of block hugger headers and then you will have to make your own custom collector. you did not mention what Ford the axle is out of.. If it is a bronco,(f150 you'll have plenty of clearence) you'll be a little tight, but run the tube inbetween the shaft and the oil pan, run it behind the pan to the passenger side and have the collector for the Y pipe over there.

It has stock manifolds and a stock y pipe, the axle is an f150, but thats what i figured i was going to have to do (hack up my new exhaust) there is a picture of it under "New guy building his first jeep", on page 2 of the forums...when i get a couple of these boats out of my garage i'll be able to start working on it again and get some more pictures of it. speaking of boats, somebody told me marine carbs work good on jeeps if you have extreme angles??? is this true??? i have TBI on mine but i repair boats for a living and i come across alot of boat carbs from I/O's and was just wandering if this is true?

Back