4WD broke!

bucklahoo

got a 90 yj 2.5L 5 speed

i broke one of the metal nipples on the axle shift motor (on my dana 33 front axle) where the plastic vacuum tubes connect. this is for engaging the front axle for 4wd. i might attempt to take it off and retap a fitting into it but...

if i replace the whole shift motor it is that difficult?

what if i put a manual pull-type 4wd engaging cable on, is that any more tricky? how does it connect? whats a good brand to get? price?

[addsig]

got a 95 yj 2.5L 5 speed also and my four wheel drive broke also, it happened one day when i got stuck in a big mud hole and i havent been able to figure out whats wrong with it. i think i has something to do with the vacuum system and i would like to get rid of the vacuum tubes, but what else can i replace it with and how much would that cost?

cant go muddin till its fixed

image-missing.png
[addsig]

4x4 posi lock ( a cable operated front axle engagement system). A friend of mine has it install insted of OEM vacum method and it works well. itll run you about $200 and can be found in Jc Whittney and Quadratec.[addsig]

The posi-lok replaces the vacuum actuator or CAD (Central Axle Disconnecton) your front axle. Should be an easy swap. Remove a few bolts, pull the vac actator out install the new cable actuator, bolt it in then run the cable to the cab and install it.

Remember to cap off the removed vacuum line when finished.

[addsig]

If you are going to be replacing it anyway, go with the posi-lock system. Not only can you engage immediately but you can also run in 2 wheel drive in low, which saves your clutch on the hills when you don't need 4WD. I will either be getting this system soon or trying my hand at fabricating something to work instead.

[addsig]

Back