4wd low

Nymisus

ok so i am new to the whole 4wd concept and have used the 4wd hi a couple of times offroad, never the 4wd low....so yesterday i decided to put it in low just for the heck of it in my driveway.....really hard to back up kinda sounded like it wasn't all the way in gear or something so when i got to the street i put it in hi then back in low, same thing going forward, really hard to drive, went maybe 50 yards got into second, but still supper slow and revving really high....any ideas on what is happening, would it be different offroad?? by the way its a 2.5l[addsig]

That is 4low there is nothing wrong with it..It is low (it is geared
super low with high rpm's ) this is used for steep climbs or pulling
out a big hummer. It will be rally slow and the engine will sound like
you are doing 90 mph....hope this helps .... :-D [addsig]

He is right. There is nothing wrong with it. I use it all the time in the swamps in Florida. Works great in muddy, or high water conditions, when you are concerned about stalling out.[addsig]

yup..it's just geared really low..in fact, even with the 33's I can't start out in 4 low 1st gear..i have to use second to get rolling...btw....not a good idea to use 4wd on dry pavement.

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

no offense, but are you kidding?
SOunds like yours is acting normal, but just for reference on the newer jeeps it is recommended that you shift into 4WD Lo from a neutral rolling start (maybe why it sounded like it wasnt in gear) -- If you have your owner's manual or (even better) the video that came with your jeep it will outline how to do it. [addsig]

I dream in 4WD LO and love to drive in the same. Cause when it is time for the low gears you are into the trail real good. That is when I get the best Goose Bumps riding up on the edge of the seat and ezen thru the good stuff.

Now that I have my cable pposi lock on the front axel I di a bunch of trail rideing in 2 WD LO in about 3rd and sometimes even 4th gear. Now that is nice to. tug[addsig]

Hey man....i dont know how it is with the 2.5L but a piece of advice i learned in Tennessee with my man TUG is in 4Lo always start off in 2nd gear. First gear jumps all over the place like a wounded frog! lol :lol: Goodluck And Tug is very correct when he says it gives you goose bumps going over things in granny gear slow! :p [addsig]

If I go to 4-lo I am 1st gearin all the way. I have actually tried to shift to 3rd in 4-lo LOL it booted me out of 4WD. good thing it does though. I however rather stay in 1st gear and let the Idle take me up the hills.[addsig]

4WD LO I stick to 1st and 2nd but I run in 2WD LO a bunch in as high as 4th gear. tug

edited by: Tug-n-pull, Jul 09, 2003 - 08:41 AM[addsig]

thanks for all the tips guys, thats what i thought but wasn't quite sure...i don't have a 2wd low though just 4wd low and 2wd high and 4wd high...also i heard you shouldn't shift into low unless you are stopped is that correct?
[addsig]

DC recommends you dont go more than 5mph in 4wd low anyways. So you are more or less stopped aready if you need to use it. It is supposed to be used for real tough terrain. IF you are going faster than 5mph you dont need to by in 4wd lo.[addsig]

Glad we could help and everything is fine ...are you sure
it's ajeep ..hahahaha :lol: :lol: Anyways welcome to the board :-D [addsig]

just gotta know how to work the clutch to start in 1st low... its not that bad... doesn't jump too bad if you expect the low range[addsig]

You saying I don't know how to work a clutch...........

:lol:

THe only thing i ever use 4w-low for is rock crawling or trying to make it up a rough hill that i can go fast up and need more power than 4w-hi will give me. GO BIG OR GO HOME :-O :-D :-O :-D :-O [addsig]

It is available in YJ's with posi-lock cables.... :-D [addsig]

I used my 4wd lo today to pull down a garage... really fun

also... it is really good if you are creeping and don't want to wear the clutch by going "sub-1st-hi" speeds[addsig]

It's a mod...search out Tugs write up on it...very good thing to have on the trails, pretty easy to do as well.

Back