4wd stuck

Low2ground1

Ok so my 4 wheel drive wasnt working when i bought the jeep I looked in the differntial everything was cool except the passender side wasnt spinning with the drive when it was in 4wd i read more of my maunal and i came about the axle shift motor i opend it up the C hook clamp was not on the oring and the oring was not connected on both axles i connected the oring on and the hook clapm i slid it on the oring i was also looking at the vacume lines one side was rusted away when i hooked the oring and hooked everything back together now i have 4 wheel drive but it won't engauge into 2wheel drive from the lever inside and my light says 4wheel drive would it be the vacuum motor? do i need to replace that so it goes into 2wheel drive my manual does not really tell me anything about my problem and and i tried troubleshooting online and i have no luck please message me back on here thanks ken

I would have to guess that the vac. lines are either hooked up incorrectly or the Axle disconnect actuator is inoperable due to a leak in the diaphram within the actuator. just a guess since you didn't tell us what jeep you have.

I'm assuming this is a yj. It is normal for a standard or "open" differential to drive only one wheel, and it is the wheel with the least amount of traction too. that is the weak point of the standard differential. It sounds to me like you might need to replace the vacuum motor and all the vacuum hoses. Also i would check the vacuum resevoir(round plastic ball on the firewall behind the moter) for leaks. hope this helps, john

Last edited:
X2 on vac motor/lines. It's VERY common for the diaphram on the shift motor to crap out. If you've got a little money, go for the posi lock upgrade and be done with it. It's a fairly easy upgrade and you'll never have to worry about 4wd shifting again!

thank you my friends i figured it be the vacum or lines just had to do my search before i waist more time lol but im learning and love the jeep world so much to offer and so way beter than a car thanks ill try those 2 things first and get back to hear and let you know what went down

ka041a, there is no vacuum reservoir on the YJ.

Pull the vacuum motor from the axle and have a friend shift the TC into 4wd and back to 2wd. Watch for the shift fork in the vacuum motor to move. This will help you diagnose the problem.

Could also be a bad vacuum switch on the transfer case.

Please, please, PLEASE learn some grammar... I think I can offer several solutions to your problem but you're gonna have to learn proper English first.

Back