4wd???

jayysmith87

i know its a newbie Q.. but im new to jeeps.. how do i put my 92 jeep wrangler (5 speed) into 4wd?? please help! if you could tell me step by step that would be great! thanks..

Pull back on the transfer case lever, that is all. You can shift to 4hi while moving, although it's best to let of the gas and/or clutch. You must be stopped to shift to 4lo.

Welcome to the Z.

Do you have a 4wd light?

I know in my 97 TJ there is no light or the bulb is blown out but I know my 4wd works.

Put in 4wd and find some loose gravel,mud,snow and see if it works.

i did that and nothing.. no light comes on or anything.. does it have to be in gear or something?
The light should come on when you pull the lever.

The lever shifts the transfer case to 4wd mechanically, meaning if the lever works the transfer case is likely working okay.

The 4wd light on your jeep is activated by a vacuum disconnect on the passenger side of the front axle. You'll see 2 vacuum lines and a wiring harness running to the axle, that's it. Sounds like you need to troubleshoot the vacuum disconnect system.

With the jeep running, pull the two vacuum hoses from the axle. With the jeep safely chocked in place, have a friend shift from 2wd to 4wd and back while you feel the vacuum in each line. Strong vacuum should alternate between the 2 lines depending on 2hi or 4hi.

Let me know what you find, if the vacuum checks out I will guide you through some more troubleshooting.

well i know that its not goin into 4wd cuz it im stuck in the snow and the back tires spin but the front tires dont.. ill look at the vacuum system and see whats up with it.. thank you for all the advice.. it really helps!!

Back